This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6585 / 52°39'30"N
Longitude: -0.7064 / 0°42'23"W
OS Eastings: 487594
OS Northings: 307535
OS Grid: SK875075
Mapcode National: GBR CRT.878
Mapcode Global: WHGLT.3FWS
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187305
Location: Egleton, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Egleton
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Egleton
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 80 NE EGLETON CHURCH ROAD
7/24 Church of St. Edmund
Small parish church, basically norman though enlarged and subsequently
reduced again in size later. West tower with short spire, nave with
clerestory, and chancel. Tower rebuilt late C18. Ashlar, 3 stages with
round-arched lights to bell chamber. Parapet, corner pinnacles and spire.
In the west wall a C14 traceried window with hoodmould and corbel heads
survives. Nave of ironstone rubble with paler sandstone dressings, including
quoins and a sill course. Very low pitchedunparapetted roof. Section
of line of original roof visible as sandstone string course at springing
of arches for present windows. C14 south porch with ogee arched doorway
and a worn sundial above it. Rubble stone chancel with ashlar parapet and
a tiny priests door. East wall of chancel is of dressed stone in bands,
and there is some banding also to the north wall, which also contains some
ashlar work and is very irregular in build.
North side of nave is buttressed and shows early C14 arcade infilled with
ashlar. Line of original roof, and possible beam ends of this roof between
the arcade arches.
The south door is C12, exuberantly and copiously carved, basket work and
intolace to the shafts, decorated capitals and abaci and a very lively and
richly carved tynpanum, within an arch supported on two beasts heads
where 2 winged creatures support a wheel-like emblem with 6 petal-like
spokes. Inside, the chancel arch is in a similarly vigorous style, the
arch itself, a simple double chamfered semi-circule, perhaps later, but
the shafts, capitals and abaci again ornate with basket weave, foliate
interlace, beading etc., each side different.
The west tower arch is blocked, triple chamfered like the blocked north
arcade. Internal face of S. door is tall, narrow and plain. South windows
are large, C15, with double ranks of foiled lights. A single clerestory
window above. North wall has 3-light C15 windows in the blocking of the
arcade, and 4 clerestory windows above, in angular surrounds. Between the
windows, crudely carved grotesques represent the corbels of the original
roof, beasts and human figures. Door to rood, and squint survive in east
wall of nave, and over the chancel arch are painted the arms of George III
and a single surviving figure (Moses or Aaron?).
Chancel windows are large and C15, those on north differing from those on
south, and from each other. East window contains stained glass of 1875.
Various Cl8 wall tombstones in chancel. The C13 font is square on central
and 4 corner shafts, C11 chamfered. A low relief cross or rosette adorns
each side, and slight pilasters mark the angles. Against the blocked west
tower opening, part of a C15 wood screen survives with paired lights, an
ogee arched doorway, and traceried panels. 4 old bench ends also survive
but the church was reseated in 1875. Painted boards of the Commandments
'Our Father' and 'Creed' in porch.
Listing NGR: SK8759407535
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings