History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Hall Ruins

A Grade II Listed Building in Exton, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6909 / 52°41'27"N

Longitude: -0.638 / 0°38'16"W

OS Eastings: 492155

OS Northings: 311222

OS Grid: SK921112

Mapcode National: GBR DSV.7JZ

Mapcode Global: WHGLN.5MGH

Entry Name: Old Hall Ruins

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073771

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187334

Location: Exton, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Exton and Horn

Built-Up Area: Exton (Rutland)

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Exton with Horn St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Greetham

Listing Text


SK 9211 - 9311 EXTON EXTON PARK

5/50 Old Hall Ruins

14.6.54

GV II

Ruins of Old Hall, built by Harrington family in late C16 - early C17 and
burnt in 1811 and 1915. Ashlar faced rubble. External walls of Great
Hall survive almost to full height, with 4 16-light flat splayed mullion
& transom with lozenge shaped decoration above windows and fragments
of the cornice above. Within, various fireplaces, and a full height
archway, possibly to former staircase, in rear wall, survive. Shadow of
former hammerbeam roof in the plasterwork, and a corbel.,survive: Left of
the Great Hall is a further full height stump of walling, & left of this
again, much of the west wall, with coped gable, large projecting stack,
various mullion & transom windows with ovolo moulding. The large kitchen
fireplace, and above, 2 4-centred arched fireplaces. 2 cellars also remain,
one, barrel vaulted between kitchen wall & cross-passage, the other behind
the rear wall of the Great Hall. After the first fire, the hall continued
to be used by the carpentersof the Exton estate. Richard Norman Shaw drew
up plans for its reinstatement and photographs exist showing the hall
intact, with projecting 2-storey porch, shaped gables, & a parapet at
eaves level. (SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT)


Listing NGR: SK9269911215

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.