History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Cross

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burley, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6824 / 52°40'56"N

Longitude: -0.6952 / 0°41'42"W

OS Eastings: 488303

OS Northings: 310215

OS Grid: SK883102

Mapcode National: GBR CRF.YW9

Mapcode Global: WHGLM.9T6Y

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073794

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187294

Location: Burley, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Burley

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Cottesmore, Barrow St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Oakham

Listing Text


SK 81 SE BURLEY CHURCH LANE
3/12 Church of the Holy
14.6.54 Cross
II*

Medieval Parish Church of Norman origin, renewed and restored extensively
by J.L. Pearson 1869-70. Coursed rubble of various builds. West tower,
nave with aisles and clerestory, aisled chancel. Buttressed tower of
early C14, 3 steps with tall 2-tier traceried openings to bell chambers
and decorated west window. Embattled parapet and huge gargoyles, complete
figures of men and beasts, at each angle. Nave of 4 bays with parapet to
clerestory and eastern coped gable with cross. N. doorway in a porch by
Pearson, buttressed, with coped gables and overhanging eaves. Double
chamfered archway with continuous shaft. Aisles rebuilt by Pearson in
fine masonry with string course and projecting eaves. All the aisle and
clerestory window tracery by Pearson, flat-headed windows with heavy foiled
tracery pattern. He completely rebuilt the chancel, which, with its
aisles is the full width of the nave, wider on the south, with a single
sweeping tiled roof with cresting, coped gable with eastern cross, and
overhanging eaves. On its north wall, a good high Victorian cottage-style
chimney to cellar-boiler room, and alongside it, a priests doorway.
Interior has norman north arcade of 3 bays with circular piers with leafy
volutes and square abaci. One of these piers consists of 2 shafts engaged
against a squared column. The south arcade is late C13, double chamfered
arches on circular piers and with some nailhead decorated capitals. King-
post and strut roof. Chancel arch by Pearson, with engaged shaft springing
from midway up, rather than ground level. Very low chancel screen of
pierced stone. Chancel arcades of 3 bays on circular piers. East window
by Clayton & Bell, c1870. West window, by Westlake, late C15 alabaster
monument with 2 effigies the male figure multilated. Memorial to Charlotte
Finch, d.1820, by Chantrey, in S. aisle. Perpendicular font: octagonal
with traceried panels and frieze faces etc. Light fittings: coronae lucis,
probably by Pearson.


Listing NGR: SK8830310215

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.