This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6656 / 52°39'56"N
Longitude: -0.5957 / 0°35'44"W
OS Eastings: 495064
OS Northings: 308471
OS Grid: SK950084
Mapcode National: GBR DT3.S88
Mapcode Global: WHGLV.T8H9
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1073940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186927
Location: Empingham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Empingham
Built-Up Area: Empingham
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Empingham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 90 NE CHURCH STREET (East Side)
4/93 Church of St. Peter
Church. C13-C15. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone with lead parapetted
and Collyweston slate roofs. Stone coped E gable. W tower, nave, aisles,
transepts, chancel, N vestry and S porch. Very fine C14 tower of 4 stages
and spire with plinth, stepped angle buttresses, shafted W doorway with
ballflower decoration and ogee arch framed by similar shafted blank
arch, 3 niches over, then stage of blank arcading (later clock face to
N), 4 bell openings with Curvilinear tracery, carved frieze, N gargoyle,
battlements, and tall hexagonal, shafted and crocketted pinnacles.
Crocketted spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes and weathercock. Exterior of
church has stepped buttresses and angle buttresses, the windows with
hood moulds and label stops. Inside, many-moulded W arch with shafted
keeled responds. Later C13 4 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches
on circular piers and capitals. Above E bay an original circular
clerestory window. Early C13 4 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches
on circular piers and octagonal capitals. Perp clerestory with 3-light
windows, 3 to N and 4 to S. 4 bay C19 roof incorporating original Perp
carved figures. Wall pieces and curved braces from stone corbels. C13
N aisle with N door and 3 3-light Perp windows. N transept similar with
fine N window and some original stained glass in heads of E windows.
2 niches, one cusped, the other ogee headed. C13 chancel with triple
lancet, blocked lancet and C19 vestry to N, E window with Intersected
tracery, and 2 double lancets, triple lancet, S door and fine sedilia
and piscina and ogee leaded aumbry to S. C19 roof. C13 S transept with
3 double lancets, a triple lancet and small cusped niche. S aisle with
Perp windows, one with stained glass of 1907, C13 S doorway and C14 S
porch. Contemporary wall painting in N and S transepts and over S door.
C17 oak pulpit. C19 brass lectern. C18 hatchments. In N transept C13
tomb recess with coffin slab and 2 other coffin slabs loose. Under W
tower further coffin slab mounted in wall. Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK9506408471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings