History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Uppingham, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5874 / 52°35'14"N

Longitude: -0.7221 / 0°43'19"W

OS Eastings: 486672

OS Northings: 299606

OS Grid: SP866996

Mapcode National: GBR CSK.Q8R

Mapcode Global: WHFL1.W799

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 10 November 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186815

Location: Uppingham, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Uppingham

Built-Up Area: Uppingham

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Uppingham St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Uppingham

Listing Text

SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM LONDON ROAD
4/77 (east side)

10.11.55 Church of St Peter and
St Paul
GV
II*


Parish church. C14, enlarged and heavily restored 1861 by Henry Parsons of London.
Squared stone and ashlar with Welsh slate roof to chancel and low-pitched lead roofs
to nave and aisles, scarcely visible behind battlemented parapet. Tower and spire,
nave and aisles, north porch of stone and south porch of wooden trellis-work, chancel
and chancel chapels. Tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses, moulded string courses
and 2-light bell-openings. West doorway with continuous mouldings and
fleuron decoration in square surround. Spire with 3 tiers of traceried and gabled
lucarnes. Nave of 4 bays (lengthened by one bay in 1861), arcade of double-chamfered
arches (retaining some original painting of tendrils) carried on clusters of 4 shafts
to north with polygonal abaci and to south with quatrefoil abaci. Window tracery,
Decorated to north and Perpendicular to south, wholly renewed. C19 roof. Two-bay
chancel entirely of 1861, Decorated in style, divided from chapels by arcade on black
marble columns with naturalistic capitals. C16 pulpit. Font of 1853 designed by
G E Street for All Saints, Cottesbrooke, Northants. Four small Norman demi-figures,
representing Christ blessing, a saint blessing and 2 angels, discovered during work in
the C19 and now placed either side of the south door and the east window of the North
chapel.


Listing NGR: SP8667299606

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.