This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6404 / 52°38'25"N
Longitude: -1.1363 / 1°8'10"W
OS Eastings: 458542
OS Northings: 305087
OS Grid: SK585050
Mapcode National: GBR FGH.3C
Mapcode Global: WHDJB.JW4P
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 5 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188606
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester The Abbey
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/01/2016
SK 5805 4/27
ST MARGARET'S WAY,
St Margaret's Church
(Formerly listed under CHURCH GATE (East Side))
Mainly C15. Section of possibly Anglo-Saxon wall under church. Transept
responds of circa 1200. South arcade, chancel arch (rebuilt 1860) and
south doorway late C13. North arcade circa 1300. Substantially Perpendicular
dating from 1444 with fine large west tower with panelled battlements,
pinnacles and stair-turret and tierceron vault inside; the clerestory,
north and south aisles, south porch with panelled front, fan-vault inside
porch and fireplace in chamber above, and chancel. C15 octagonal font.
Stained glass by Thomas Willement in 1840's, and by Wailes in 1864. Hinges
of north door C13. Monuments: 1520 Bishop Penny, 1444 William Barbour
and Wife. Tower contains fine peal of bells. Restored by Scott in 1860's
and by Street in 1881. Many good C18 and C19 slate headstones in churchyard.
Listing NGR: SK5854205087
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings