History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Groby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6634 / 52°39'48"N

Longitude: -1.2268 / 1°13'36"W

OS Eastings: 452389

OS Northings: 307574

OS Grid: SK523075

Mapcode National: GBR 8M4.2MS

Mapcode Global: WHDJ9.4B21

Entry Name: The Old Hall

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188534

Location: Groby, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, LE6

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Groby

Built-Up Area: Groby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Groby

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Glenfield

Listing Text

GROBY MARKFIELD ROAD
SK 50 NW
(north east side)
4/27 The Old Hall
22.10.52
G.V. II*

House. Late C15, altered C17, restored 1858, some C20 alterations. Red
brick in English bond with some diaper work in black brick, sandstone
ashlar, diminishing coursed slate roofs. Main block with attached 4 storey
angle tower to left with hipped roof, Single storey with parapet and 2
storey plus garret irregular 7 bay front, 2 right hand bays with separate
gables, with mutilated diaper work to left and centre. Off centre C20
garage door with to left a small glazing bar casement, 2 planked doors and
matching double doors, all under timber lintels, To right a large 3 light
mullioned window is flanked by single similar smaller windows. Beyond is a
planked door set in a 4 centred arched and chamfered surround with hood
mould having label stops. To first floor a central large 6 light mullioned
and transomed window is flanked by single smaller 3 light mullioned
windows. All mullioned windows have chamfered surrounds and glazing bar
lights. In the left hand gable is a further 3 light mullioned window with
diamond leaded lights. To the right hand gable is a blocked four centred
arched window. Beyond to the left is a small leaded casement and to the
angle tower in the 3 upper stages are single 4 centred arched and chamfered
openings with drip moulds. Originally the home of the Grey family with
associations with Lady Jane Grey.


Listing NGR: SK5238907574

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.