History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Samlesbury Lower Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Samlesbury, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.7785 / 53°46'42"N

Longitude: -2.6143 / 2°36'51"W

OS Eastings: 359612

OS Northings: 431522

OS Grid: SD596315

Mapcode National: GBR BS5R.S8

Mapcode Global: WH96S.T986

Entry Name: Samlesbury Lower Hall

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Last Amended: 27 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074094

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358000

Location: Samlesbury, South Ribble, Lancashire, PR5

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble

Civil Parish: Samlesbury

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Samlesbury St Leonard the Less

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


1/95 Samlesbury Lower Hall
11.11.1966 (Formerly listed as Lower Hall (now used
- II as loose boxes for new houses
of 1878))

House, c.1625, now ruined, only the front wall remaining. Red sandstone
with yellow and white stone dressings. Original plan not known, but 9
bays in length. Two storeys (1½ remaining) with central 3-storey gabled
porch of rusticated ashlar, hollow-chamfered doorway, window openings
tall at 1st floor and square above. Left and right sides differ: left
side of squared sandstone coursed and watershot, has 4 large double-
chamfered cross windows irregularly spaced and linked at transom and head
levels by bands of yellow stone. Right side of coursed and squared
sandstone has continuous dripstone at windowhead level, and 5 window
openings, the inner 2 deeper and blocked, the others being chamfered
cross windows. There are 2 similar windows in the right return wall;
and vestiges of 9 first floor windows. History: built c.1625 by
Thomas Walmsley of Dunkenhalgh to replace original Lower Hall, following
his purchase of moiety of manor of Samlesbury from Southworth family
(R. Eaton History of Samlesbury, p.57).

Listing NGR: SD5961231522

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.