This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7476 / 53°44'51"N
Longitude: -2.6672 / 2°40'2"W
OS Eastings: 356094
OS Northings: 428115
OS Grid: SD560281
Mapcode National: GBR TGV.VN
Mapcode Global: WH96Z.025D
Entry Name: South Ribble Squash Club and Parish Rooms
Listing Date: 27 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074103
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358021
Location: South Ribble, Lancashire, PR5
District: South Ribble
Town: South Ribble
Electoral Ward/Division: Samlesbury & Walton
Built-Up Area: Bamber Bridge
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Walton-le-Dale St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 52NE WALTON LE DALE CHURCH BROW --
5/116 South Ribble Squash Club
and Parish Rooms
School, 1835, subsequently enlarged, now substantially altered internally
and extended to rear as squash club. Tooled pink sandstone blocks, slate
roof with gable chimney composed of 4 octagonal flues. Rectangular range
of 6 bays with later extensions to front of first 4 bays, and at right end.
Two storeys in Perpendicular style: moulded plinth, buttresses, bands on
2 levels, hollow moulded eaves cornice, gable copings, all windows
double-chamfered stone mullioned with 2 cinquefoil lights and hollow
spandrels. In centre is a 2-storey gabled porch 2 bays wide which has 2
doorways linked by a single hoodmould, with arches in the heads and
glazed spandrels, above these 2 blank shields,at 1st floor level two
2-light windows, with a single-light window in the gable and an octagonal
chimney on its apex. Left of the porch and flush with it is an addition
parallel with the main range and extending beyond it. At the right end
is a 2-bay extension shallower and lower than the main range, with a flat
roofed salient in the angle and 2-storey canted bay to the gable. A
relatively large and elaborate National School, close to Church of
St. Leonard (q.v.) (F. Coupe Walton le Dale 1954).
Listing NGR: SD5609428115
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings