History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bagworth Park Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bagworth & Thornton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6737 / 52°40'25"N

Longitude: -1.3295 / 1°19'46"W

OS Eastings: 445432

OS Northings: 308657

OS Grid: SK454086

Mapcode National: GBR 7KH.6PS

Mapcode Global: WHDJ7.K232

Entry Name: Bagworth Park Farmhouse

Listing Date: 28 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074113

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188503

Location: Bagworth & Thornton, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, LE67

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Bagworth & Thornton

Civil Parish/community: Bagworth & Thornton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Thornton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Markfield

Listing Text

BAGWORTH THE HOLLOW, Thornton
SK 40 NE Lane (off)
3/54 Bagworth Park Farm-
house

- II

Farmhouse. c1800 with C19 alterations. Red brick with Swithland slate roof,
and pairs of octagonal gable stacks. Chamfered blue brick plinth and dentilated
eaves. 3 storey. South front, 3 bays with slightly projecting central bay.
Projecting gabled C19 porch with double, half-glazed doors in reeded surround.
Eitherside single inpartite plain sashes. Above a central plain sash flanked by
single inpartite plain sashes all these windows have segment headed wedge
lintel. Above again a smaller central sash, flanked by small inpartite sashes,
all with wooden lintels. To right a single storey C19, lean-to conservation or
vine house. Rear walling incorporates fragments of an older house. This house
stands moated on the site of the great house in Bagworth Park. It was held by
the Earl of Mellent at the Conquest and belonged to the Bishop of Durham in
1310. In 1472 Lord William Hastings was granted a licence to crenellate the
house. It was garrisoned for Charles I and completely devastated in the Civil
War.


Listing NGR: SK4543208657

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.