This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6956 / 53°41'44"N
Longitude: -2.6937 / 2°41'37"W
OS Eastings: 354294
OS Northings: 422349
OS Grid: SD542223
Mapcode National: GBR 9TMP.MZ
Mapcode Global: WH860.LCHR
Entry Name: United Reformed Church and Attached Walls
Listing Date: 10 September 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358046
Location: South Ribble, Lancashire, PR25
District: South Ribble
Town: South Ribble
Electoral Ward/Division: Leyland Central
Built-Up Area: Leyland
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Leyland St Ambrose
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
The following building shall be added:
SD 52 SW LEYLAND HOUGH LANE
119-/8/10000 United Reformed Church
and attached walls
Nonconformist Church, School and Hall. 1874-1877, by David
Grant. Padiham stone, crockfaced; dressed Longridge stone to
openings; brick and stone to church rooms at the rear.
Interior woodwork, including the roof, of pitch pine. Slate
roofs. High Victorian Gothic style. Oriented on a north-south
axis; all directions given below are ritual. Shallow apse to
east with plaster rib vaulting and simply molded chancel arch.
Vestries for minister and choir to either side. Broad,
undivided nave with trilobed, boarded roof of four bays;
chamfered tie beam spanning central lobe of roof. West gallery
carried on cast-iron columns. West saddleback tower (with
tower arch to nave gallery), its roof of exceptionally steep
pitch; vestibule to north and vestibule-cum-stair tower to
south, the two latter have polygonal roofs. Nave returns with
setback buttress to each bay and single lancet. Two facing
gable ranges to church halls at the rear, the first a
schoolroom with two adult classrooms and the eastmost with an
infants' classroom and additional room. Separate entrances to
schools allowed minister and choir access to vestries directly
from the east end.
Interior: Many furnishings of original design, including,
panelling, pews, door surrounds, and gallery front. Of special
note is the organ set in the shallow apse with choir stalls on
a low dais demarcated from the nave by a wood and metal rail;
these latter built by Andrew Tomlinson; large wood pulpit to
northeast of good quality wood, possibly figured walnut.
Windows glazed with tinted cathedral glass.
Also included are the Padiham stone walls enclosing the
forecourt and a square stone lamp base immediately west of the
The west elevation is a highly mannered and inventive design
that is strongly asymmetrical. David Grant (born in 1846) was
a well-regarded Nonconformist architect and secretary of the
Leyland Church building committee. During the time of
construction he was resident in Leyland. By 1874 he had set up
offices in Preston.
Listing NGR: SD5429422349
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings