History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Belton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7831 / 52°46'59"N

Longitude: -1.3377 / 1°20'15"W

OS Eastings: 444769

OS Northings: 320818

OS Grid: SK447208

Mapcode National: GBR 7J3.JMB

Mapcode Global: WHDHN.F97R

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 7 December 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074123

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358057

Location: Belton, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE12

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Belton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Belton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Belton

Listing Text

BELTON MARKET PLACE
SK 42 SW
4/10 Church of St John the
Baptist
7.12.62
GV II*

Parish church. Mostly C14, with C15 clerestory and alterations to tower. Much
restored C19. Random rubble stone with ashlar tower, spire and clerestory.
Lead roofs. West tower, nave, aisles, south porch, chancel. In Decorated
style. West tower is of 3 stages with tall octagonal spire. Moulded plinth and
C15 parapet with crocketed corner finials. Diagonal off-set buttresses with
gablets. Spire has 3 tiers of lucarnes, the lower tiers with 2-light tracery,
and small east door. Bell-chamber has tall C15 2-light openings with tracery
and transoms. Cusped ogee single lights to mid stage; ogee slits to south west
stairs; 2-light west window with restored tracery, over small C19 door with
Caernarvon arch. Remainder of church has moulded plinths, battlemented para-
pets, gabled buttresses and restored window tracery. C15 clerestory is of 4
bays and has 2-light rectangular windows with ogee tracery. North aisle has
windows with reticulated tracery, 2-light to north and west, 3-light to east. 2
of the 3 north windows have square heads; others are arched. North door in
moulded arch with ogee hood and finial. South aisle has windows with cusped
intersecting tracery, 3-light to west, 3 2-light to south, one with square
head. East end of aisle has early C16 window with 5 arched lights in shallow
arched surround with heraldic tablet above. Medieval board and stud south door
in restored double-chamfered arch. C19 gabled south porch with moulded arch and
ogee side lights. Chancel has 2-light traceried windows with arched heads in
east bay another 2-light window with square head to south, and a cusped ogee
light to north. Large C19 east window of 5 traceried lights in 4-centred arch.
Small south door in moulded arch with restored hood. INTERIOR is much
restored. Tower-arch is triple-chamfered and dies into jambs. Nave has 4-bay
arcades of double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals.
One capital at SE end has carved figures. Nave retains C15 roof with moulded
beams and arch-braces to moulded corbel posts. Carved stone angel corbels are
restored. North aisle roof is also C15, with moulded beams and carved head
corbels. South aisle has C19-C20 roof, and arched piscina with bowl on
pilaster. Moulded chancel arch. C20 chancel roof in C15 style. Aumbry in
north wall, triple-arched piscina in south wall. FITTINGS: C15 chancel screen
with traceried panels, restored 1894; chair in chancel dated 1781; chest in
north aisle dated BELTON 1787 in studs on lid; bowl-shaped font on octagonal
base, either C19-C20 or very heavily restored. Other fittings are C19 and
include stone pulpit with carved figures in arches, carved stone reredos, and
encaustic tiles on east wall. Fine MONUMENT to Roesia de Verdun, dated 1248,
foundress of Grace Dieu Priory. Heavily restored and mounted on new base 1912.
Recumbent carved effigy, wearing a wimple, with cusped canopy on shafts. Sides
of canopy are carved with kneeling figures of nuns and the scene of Christ's
baptism. Base also has carved scene, probably that of the 2 Maries at Christ's
tomb.


Listing NGR: SK4476920818

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.