History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Great House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kegworth, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8348 / 52°50'5"N

Longitude: -1.2767 / 1°16'36"W

OS Eastings: 448825

OS Northings: 326614

OS Grid: SK488266

Mapcode National: GBR 7HM.81H

Mapcode Global: WHDHH.C09K

Entry Name: The Great House

Listing Date: 29 December 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074169

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358169

Location: Kegworth, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE74

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Kegworth

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Kegworth St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Sutton Bonington

Listing Text

KEGWORTH LONDON ROAD
SK 4826-4926
11/122
No 3 (The Great House)
29.12.52
II

House. Dated 1698 in tympanum over door. Built for the Sutton family. Partly
refenestrated and internally remodelled early C19. Some C20 repair work.
Chequer brick with stone dressings, hipped Swithland slate roof with tiled ridge
and hips, brick chimneys. L-plan with stair projection in rear angle. 2
storeys and cellar; 3-bay front. Chamfered plinth of dressed stone, moulded
stone band course at first floor level, moulded stone eaves cornice, chamfered
stone quoins. Front has early C19 boxed 4-pane sashes with moulded stone sills
and flush wedge lintels. 2-light cellar window with chamfered stone surrounds
and mullions. Small round windows in moulded stone surrounds flank central
door. Door is 6-panelled and has fine stone doorcase with bolection-moulded
architrave pulvinated frieze and moulded semicircular pediment. Tympanum has
raised stone lettering: 'RSM MDCXCVIII'. Door is approached by spreading flight
of 5 semicircular stone steps, much restored C20. Left side of house, also of 3
bays, retains original raised stone window surrounds with beaded inner edges,
moulded sills, and keyblocks. Outer windows are wider than narrow central
lights. Most of these windows are blind and painted but ground floor of left
bay has wooden cross casement, and first floor centre has C19 sash. Interior
said to retain original fireplaces in cellar, Adam-style fireplaces to first
floor, and re-sited C17 panelling (introduced C20) in ground floor room. Stair-
case not original but in original position.


Listing NGR: SK4882526614

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.