History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Workshop to Rear of the Britannia Inn (Not Included)

A Grade II Listed Building in Kegworth, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8334 / 52°50'0"N

Longitude: -1.2767 / 1°16'36"W

OS Eastings: 448826

OS Northings: 326452

OS Grid: SK488264

Mapcode National: GBR 7HM.820

Mapcode Global: WHDHH.C19P

Entry Name: Workshop to Rear of the Britannia Inn (Not Included)

Listing Date: 16 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074170

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358171

Location: Kegworth, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE74

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Kegworth

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Kegworth St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Sutton Bonington

Listing Text

KEGWORTH LONDON ROAD
SK 4826-4926
11/124 Workshop to rear of the
- Britannia Inn (not
- included)
II

Former hosiery workshop. Probably mid C19, but deeds date back to 1813. Red
brick, colourwashed to front and right gable. Slate roof, end chimneys of
colourwashed brick. 2 storeys. Long rows of almost continuous barred wooden
windows, the front with 9-light and 6-light windows to ground floor, and 2
9-light windows to first floor. Far side has 9 and 11-light windows to both
floors. All windows have heavy wooden mullions, internally moulded glazing
bars, and alternate opening casements with metal hooks and restrainers. Front
also has C20 door inserted into right window, altered C20 double doors at left
end, and C20 metal steps to old board door at first floor level. Right gable
end has narrow C20 flat-roofed extension to ground floor, and original row of
windows with C20 inserted door to first floor. Workshop was built for framework
knitting machines, and continued to produce hosiery until 1942. Owned by Nahum
Gretton in 1860, and by the Branson family from 1880. Hosiery was reputed to be
of high quality, royal orders including socks for George V 1911. (Keyworth
Local History Group.)


Listing NGR: SK4882626452

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.