History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Library and Number 5

A Grade II Listed Building in Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5401 / 52°32'24"N

Longitude: -1.3726 / 1°22'21"W

OS Eastings: 442646

OS Northings: 293764

OS Grid: SP426937

Mapcode National: GBR 7LZ.MT0

Mapcode Global: VHCSX.5F64

Entry Name: Former Library and Number 5

Listing Date: 8 February 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074233

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188186

Location: Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, LE10

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Town: Hinckley and Bosworth

Local Authority Ward: Hinckley Castle

Built-Up Area: Hinckley

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Hinkley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Hinckley

Listing Text

SP 4293 NE TOWN OF HINCKLEY STATION ROAD (east
side)
16/56
No 3 (Former Library) and
8.2.79 No 5

GV II

Library of 1888 built to the designs of Isaac Barradale of Leicester
and combining Arts and Crafts details with elements of William and Mary
inspiration. The adjoining Council Offices were added in 1903 by the
Town Surveyor F.C. Cook in a sympathetic but less original style. Red
brick with restrained ashlar dressings, and steeply pitched plain tile
roofs with stepped gable parapets incorporating chimney stacks. The
library to the left is of one and 2-storeys. Twin narrow stepped
gables linked by a miniature arch mark. The 3 window bays to the
right, the windows being contained through two storeys by narrow arched
recesses. The left hand (north) end has a similar but taller gable
above the entrance with a terracotta architrave and "Free Library"
inscribed in an Arts and Crafts script. The left and right hand gables
are separated by a square bay with mullioned and transomed window.
Lower twin gables of similar design to the left hand return with the
unusual but sensitively detailed feature of shallow concave swept
buttresses to the corner. A single-storey range of close-set segmental
arched windows extends to the rear, lighting the former lending room
and terminating in another stepped gable break. Decorative details are
restrained and sharply detailed in brick; string courses, narrow
keystones and vertical fillets with ashlar scrolled consoles as
kneelers to the gables. 2 storey council offices to the right with
shaped gables, arcaded windows, fluted brick pilasters and a central
entrance with segmental pediment, and fanlight.


Listing NGR: SP4264693764

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.