History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Peckleton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5821 / 52°34'55"N

Longitude: -1.3599 / 1°21'35"W

OS Eastings: 443471

OS Northings: 298451

OS Grid: SP434984

Mapcode National: GBR 7LL.50K

Mapcode Global: WHDJM.2CQ9

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 7 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074234

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188191

Location: Peckleton, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Peckleton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Barwell St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Kirkby Mallory

Listing Text

SP 49 NW PECKLETON CHURCH LANE (north
side)
10/61 Stapleton

7.11.66 Church of St. Martin

GV II*

Church. Early C14; spire rebuilt (1904-5) and present windows inserted
(1906) by W.T. Grewcock of Leicester. Random rubble with freestone
dressings and slate roof. West tower and 3-bay nave and chancel in
one. 2 stage west tower with belfry offset and diagonal buttresses
diminishing with height and dying into the belfry stage. Segmental
pointed west doorway with hood-mould. 2-light belfry windows
containing Y-tracery with trefoil cusping to the heads of the lights,
and hood moulds. Plain parapet, and small recessed spire. Nave and
chancel: Pointed 2-light side windows with reticulated or Y-tracery;
3-light east window with decorated tracery. At the west end of the
south side a smaller, C14 window survives, it has a segmental pointed
head and Y-tracery; also on this side is the fragment of a
square-headed window with reticulated tracery. At the west end of the
nave, north of the tower, a small lancet survives. Blocked north and
south doorways, the arches of both having been destroyed by windows of
1906. Interior: C14 doorway between nave and tower; 2-centred arch
and double chamfered surround. No structural division between nave and
chancel. C19 king-post roof. Fixtures and fittings: West gallery
with vestry beneath, and box pews, all of 1808. Small stone font on an
octagonal pedestal. C20 wooden pulpit with panelled sides and
naturalistic foliage. Simple wooden altar rail with open arcade. Large
Gothic style organ, C19. B.O.E. p. 389


Listing NGR: SP4347198451

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.