History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Simon and St Jude

A Grade II* Listed Building in Earl Shilton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5796 / 52°34'46"N

Longitude: -1.3061 / 1°18'21"W

OS Eastings: 447116

OS Northings: 298198

OS Grid: SP471981

Mapcode National: GBR 7LP.6M0

Mapcode Global: WHDJM.XF68

Entry Name: Church of St Simon and St Jude

Listing Date: 8 March 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074259

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188150

Location: Earl Shilton, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Earl Shilton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Earl Shilton St Simon and St Jude

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Kirkby Mallory

Listing Text

SP 49 NE TOWN OF HINCKLEY ALMEY'S LANE (south
side)
11/42 Earl Shilton

8.3.63 Church of St. Simon and
St. Jude

II*

Parish church. Rebuilt 1855-6 by Slater and Carpenter except for the
C15 west tower. Random rubble with freestone dressings; plain tile
roof with stone coped verges. West tower, 6-bay nave with aisles and
north and south porches, 2-bay chancel with north vestry. 3 stage west
tower with moulded plinth, offsets and hollow chamfered string beneath
a crenellated parapet with continuous moulded coping. Clasping
buttresses to the first 2 stages with diagonal buttresses above (c.f.
Church of St. Mary, Barwell c.p.). Y-traceried west window with
cinquefoil cusping and 4-centred arch; the belfry lights are in a
similar style and there is a quatrefoil shaped loop to each face of the
second stage. Recessed stone spire of octagonal section with one tier
of lucarnes; 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil in the spandrel
beneath a tall triangular arch with crocketed hood mould. Nave and
aisles: 2-centred 2-light windows with decorated tracery and
scroll-moulded hoods with block stops; buttresses at the bay divisions.
Chancel: 5-light east window with a network of intersecting tracery
incorporating geometrical motifs. Interior: 5-bay nave arcades
carried beyond the chancel arch for a further 2 bays; pointed arches of
2 wave-moulded orders spring from clusters of 4 cylindrical shafts with
moulded bases and capitals. Towards the nave the arcade spandrels are
painted with stars, crosses and lozenges; around the arches are
trailing leaves and there is a frieze of quatrefoils at roof level.
C15 tower arch with outer wave-moulded surround and an inner chamfered
arch springing from semi-octagonal engaged columns with moulded
capitals. 2-centred chancel arch of 2 wave-moulded orders on engaged
half columns like those of the nave; hood mould ending in moulded
corbels. At the east end of each aisle is a pointed archway; the right
hand one gives access to a chapel, and beyond the left hand one is the
organ chamber. Arch-braced collar roof over the nave with braces
springing from short posts on stone corbels. Over the aisles are
simpler straight-braced collar roofs. Panelled chancel roof painted
with flowers, stars and foliage, done by the Vicar F.E. Tower, father
of Kempe'spartner Tower. Fixtures and fittings: The lower part of the
tower arch is infilled with a wooden screen and above this is a bell
ringers' gallery. At the west end of the south aisle is a tablet
recording donations to the church by Sir Varney Noel in 1676 and by
Henry Noel Esq. in 1694. Simple stone font comprising a cylindrical
basin on a squat octagonal pedestal; C19 conical font cover. Medieval
parish chest bound by strap hinges. C19 pine bench pews. Pulpit of
1901; octagonal stone base and wooden superstructure with brass angle
shafts. Good quality priests stalls of 1939 with linen fold panels and
poppy heads, and choir stalls in the same style in memory of those who
died in the Second World War. Early to mid-C20 linen fold panelling
around the walls of the santuary, and altar of the same style and date.
Stained glass by Kempe and Co.; south chapel, east of 1919; south
aisle, second and third from east of 1928; north aisle second from east
of 1934. B.O.E. p. 147.


Listing NGR: SP4711698198

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.