This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6412 / 52°38'28"N
Longitude: -1.4155 / 1°24'55"W
OS Eastings: 439650
OS Northings: 304986
OS Grid: SK396049
Mapcode National: GBR 6JF.GYP
Mapcode Global: WHDJ6.7W72
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 13 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074289
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188008
Location: Carlton, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, CV13
District: Hinckley and Bosworth
Civil Parish: Carlton
Built-Up Area: Carlton (Hinckley and Bosworth
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Carlton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK30 SE MAIN STREET (South Side)
4/11 Church of St. Andrew
Church. Rebuilt 1764 and Gothicized in 1867 by H. Goddard & Son. Brick with
limestone dressings, including plinth which may be the relic of a Mediaeval
building, Swithland Slate Roofs with cresting. West tower nave and chancel.
West tower entirely of 1867 with clasping buttresses, western lancet and
quatrefoil above, tripartite arcading to bell chamber, the outer lower arches
blind. Saddleback roof of Welsh slate with ridge cresting. Door in its north
wall. South arcade has paired trefoiled lights with hoodmoulds. Gabled
vestry to south of chancel which has east window of 3 lights with roundels.
Narrow lancet in north wall of chancel. Plain interior: tower arch rids
stilted outer chamfer and hoodmould, and this detail is reflected in the
chancel arch also. Elaborate nave roof of kingpost construction with ornate
tracery filling the spandrels and inscriptions on the west and east tie
beams. Chancel roof has scissor braced common rafters. Furnishings date from
the restoration of 1867: pews, stone pulpit and font. Encaustic floor tiles
to chancel, and altar rails with cusped tracery. Stained glass: north window
by Theodora Salisbury of 1920, a war memorial depicting Saints Gabriel and
Michael, and in the chancel north wall two saints in the lancets, Mediaeval
style, 1909. Simple emblems and flower quarries in east window.
Listing NGR: SK3965004986
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings