This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6995 / 52°41'58"N
Longitude: -1.5805 / 1°34'49"W
OS Eastings: 428446
OS Northings: 311399
OS Grid: SK284113
Mapcode National: GBR 5G3.P7H
Mapcode Global: WHCGS.PDLT
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 20 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074336
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187919
Location: Chilcote, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12
District: North West Leicestershire
Civil Parish: Chilcote
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Clifton Campville St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 21 SE
3/30 Church of St. Matthew
Church, rebuilt in 1885. Small nave, chancel, N porch (timber framed of
c1900) and outshut vestry with ashlar stack off S wall of chancel. Ashlar
with plain tiled roof of 2 shades in wide bands, with bright red ridge tiles.
Clasping buttresses with set-offs and bellcot on W end. Windows with
hood-moulds: N side: 2 windows to nave, 1 to chancel; S side:
3 windows to nave, all with Curvilinear tracery. E window with Reticulated
tracery and W window square in Perp style. Interior: bare ashlar;
roof of 4 bays re-using previous C14/15 king post roof. Animals carved
in centre of tie beams either side but bosses gone. The intermediate
struts and braces have waved outline. Some windows have late C19/early C20
stained glass. Contemporary font, pulpit and some furnishings. Church
given by Robertson family of nearby Chilcote Hall, now demolished. Tablet
recording this and date of rebuilding inside.
Listing NGR: SK2844611399
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings