History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7392 / 52°44'21"N

Longitude: -1.356 / 1°21'21"W

OS Eastings: 443579

OS Northings: 315926

OS Grid: SK435159

Mapcode National: GBR 7JP.60C

Mapcode Global: WHDHV.4DKW

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 31 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074363

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187886

Location: North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE67

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Town: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Whitwick

Built-Up Area: Coalville

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Whitwick St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Swannington

Listing Text

SK 41 NW COALVILLE SILVER STREET
(east side)
1/21 Whitwick


No 11
(The Old Vicarage)

II

House, C17 or earlier origin, probably altered 1714 (datestone over front door),
refenestrated early C19 in Gothick style and extended later in the C19. Of
Charnwood granite rubble with quoins to front, brick to rear and thatched roof.
Ridge and end stacks. Main range of 2 storeys, with cross-wing to E, 4-centred
doorway and single storey canted bay window, once thatched, now tiled. Later C19
extension to W with second doorway and bay window, similar to the original ones and
with fenestration in keeping. Gabled wing and conservatory to rear. Interior has
reed and plaster floors and retains some C17 and C18 doors. Some stained and
painted window glass including one panel dated 1830. C18 brick coach house and
hay-loft to rear. C19.Charnwood granite rubble garden walls to front, with central
round-headed gateway, now blocked. Dorothy Wordsworth once worked here as house-
keeper and her drawing of the house, "Whitwick Parsonage", is now in the Wordsworth
Museum at Grasmere.


Listing NGR: SK4357915926

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.