This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7841 / 52°47'2"N
Longitude: -1.4381 / 1°26'17"W
OS Eastings: 437991
OS Northings: 320873
OS Grid: SK379208
Mapcode National: GBR 6GN.H6X
Mapcode Global: WHDHL.W8BZ
Entry Name: Chapel of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 24 November 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074386
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187839
Location: Staunton Harold, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE65
District: North West Leicestershire
Civil Parish: Staunton Harold
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Breedon-on-the-Hill St Mary and St Hardulph
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 32 SE STAUNTON HAROLD STAUNTON HAROLD PARK
1/67 Chapel of the Holy Trinity
Chapel, unique as a complete survival of a church built during the commonwealth.
Inscription over west doors reads "In the year 1653 when all things sacred were
throughout ye nation either demolisht or profaned Sir Robert Shirley Baronet,
founded this church, whose singular praise it is to have done ye best things in
ye worst times and hoped them in the most calamitous. The righteous shall be had
in everlasting remembrance." Begun in 1653, the church and its furnishings were -
not completed until 1665. In a gothic style, but a highly wrought and careful
gothic, the parts, west tower, short nave of 3 bays with clerestory and aisles,
and chancel, very sharply articulated. Tower has paired bell openings with
Y-tracery, battlements and pinnacles with windvanes. Body of church has
embattled parapets with crocketted pinnacles over buttresses. Flat-headed
traceried lights to clerestory. Other windows in an early decorated style.
Elaborate baroque west doorway with paired tapering pilasters, swags, mannerist
angels, and Shirley arms and inscription plate above. Interior has gothic-style
architecture but fittings are all in Jacobean character. Original west door,
ornate west screen with pierced central archway and side arches, pierced leaf
scroll frieze above and panelled base. Above this, the organ loft incorporating
Shirley arms in broken segmental pediment.Schmidt organ, case of 1686. Box pews,
wall panelling and casing for piers. Plain panels to nave, more ornate in chancel.
2-decker pulpit, chancel screen, wrought iron, by Robert Bakewell, 1711, 4 hatchments
over. Ceiling painted throughout, a curious depiction of clouds and elements -
the creation out of chaos, signed by Samuel and Zachary Kink, and dated 1655.
Communion table also original c1660-65.
Listing NGR: SK3799420870
Other nearby listed buildings