This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4794 / 52°28'45"N
Longitude: -0.9224 / 0°55'20"W
OS Eastings: 473282
OS Northings: 287375
OS Grid: SP732873
Mapcode National: GBR BSB.FMH
Mapcode Global: VHDQS.YYQ5
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 25 July 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074426
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189692
Location: Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16
Electoral Ward/Division: Market Harborough-Great Bowden and Arden
Built-Up Area: Market Harborough
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Market Harborough St Dionysius
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
The Town Hall
SP 7387 1/43 25.7.52.
1788. Island building. Red brick with stone dressings including bands between
floors. Hipped slate roof. 3 storeys. Rectangular plan with short side facing
north up High Street. This facade has outer brick pilasters extending from 1st
floor band to eaves band and cornice. Arcaded ground floor of 3 bays with impost
bands, stone arches and footings. Arcades now filled in. Centre double wooden
doors. 1st and 2nd floors have Venetian windows with stone architraves. Main facade
faces west. Arcaded 5-bay ground floor. Centre breaks forward with 3 windows under
a pediment with moulded stone capping. Tympanum has arms of the Earl of Harborough.
5 barred sashes with gauged flat red brick arches. Southern facade has 3-bay arcade
and 3 storeys of windows above this. Some sashes with glazing bars remain but windows
mostly blocked. Eastern facade has arcaded ground floor but only 1 centre top storey
window above. Ground floor has good brick vaulting - originally used as a Market
Hall and Butchers Shambles. Cellar has similar treatment. Said to have been built,
by the Earl of Harborough, "partly for the tammy manufacturers" (ref White 1863).
Listing NGR: SP7328287370
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings