This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7736 / 52°46'24"N
Longitude: -1.2927 / 1°17'33"W
OS Eastings: 447810
OS Northings: 319789
OS Grid: SK478197
Mapcode National: GBR 7JC.3Z6
Mapcode Global: WHDHP.3KP1
Entry Name: Church of St Winifride
Listing Date: 26 May 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189466
Location: Shepshed, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12
Civil Parish: Shepshed
Built-Up Area: Shepshed
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Shepshed St Botolph
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
Church of St Winifride
Roman Catholic Church, now disused; 1842 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for Ambrose Lisle Phillipps, who provided some of the labour and material from the Garendon Estate. Built of granite rubble with Swithland slate roof under the direction of Pugin. Very simple exterior, nave and 2 aisles under one roof. Small lancet windows, tripartite lancet in east gable end. Small gabled south (ritual) porch with side entrance and integral buttress. Later north (ritual) vestry and brick bell cote over west (ritual) gable. Simple, but damaged, interior. Arcades with double chamfered brick arches on octagonal sandstone piers. Remains of inscriptions and murals by Anselm Baher (1834-1885), an heraldic artist and Cisterian monk at Mount St Bernards Abbey, Leicestershire. Inscriptions read: Nave, south, "Whosoever shall pray from this place hear then, O Lord, from heaven and shew mercy. 2 Saml. 2 Paral. 6/21". Nave, north, "I have loved the beauty of thy house, O Lord, and the place where thy glory
dwelled. Ps.25:8". Chancel, south, "Hic est panis qui de Coelo descendit".
Chancel, north, "Ecce Panis Factus cibus Viatorium". End has angel either side of window and dove descending above. "Sanctus Sanctus Sanctus W. Dominus Deus
Listing NGR: SK4781019789
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings