This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7875 / 52°47'14"N
Longitude: -1.1446 / 1°8'40"W
OS Eastings: 457782
OS Northings: 321444
OS Grid: SK577214
Mapcode National: GBR 8KP.CD8
Mapcode Global: WHDHR.D65C
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 1 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074561
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189311
Location: Prestwold, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12
Civil Parish: Prestwold
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Prestwold St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 52 SE PRESTWOLD PRESTWOLD HALL
1/53 Church of St. Andrew
Medieval parish church largely rebuilt 1890 by Sir A. Blomfield. Mainly of
random rubble with ashlar dressings but with some coursed rubble walling to
S wall of chancel. Late C14 buttressed west tower with 4 principal stages,
2-light traceried openings to bell chamber, west door and 2-light traceried
window above, with corbel heads to hoodmould, decorated frieze below embattled
parapet. Nave of 4 bays, all of 1890, random rubble with sandstone dressings,
curvilinear tracery to windows, that to SE having a stilted arch. Chancel
retains much medieval masonry, showing 2 builds in S wall, and a 2-light
reticulated traceried window with shafts, and a blocked wide lancet window.
1 Victorian Y-tracery lancet, and S door and east wall and window of 1890.
Interior very plain and all of 1890 but there is a fine collection of memorials
of the Packe family and their predecessors, in the Chancel, including two
late C15 alabaster tomb chests with bedesmen and angels. One has an incised
slab commemorating Sir Richard Nele and Isabel his wife, 1476, the other
has 2 recumbent unknown female figures. Wall tomb to Sir William Skipwith
and Jane his wife, 1631, a large recessed monument in various marbles, a
double tomb within aedicule, the 2 recumbent figures lie on different levels,
ornate, mannerist style. Monument to Christopher Packe of Cotes, d1682
the 1st Packe to acquire the hall, in 1653, a semi-reclining figure on a
tomb chest with inscription, pediment etc. above, in Baroque style. Charles
Hussey Packe, d1842 aged 15, a marble recumbent child figure by Westmacott
jr., and various other memorials by noted C18 and C19 sculptors.
The Church is of interest for being almost the sole reminder of the medieval
village of Prestwold, destroyed in the enclosure of the estate and it is noteworthy
that a previous restoration of 1743 had provided the Church with a nave in
the classical style, with round headed windows, oculi and a south door in
architrave. Photographs of this building survive in the Church, showing
also the high pews, gallery and double decker pulpit, but no traces of any
of this survive in the fabric.
Listing NGR: SK5778221444
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings