This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7218 / 52°43'18"N
Longitude: -1.2143 / 1°12'51"W
OS Eastings: 453167
OS Northings: 314080
OS Grid: SK531140
Mapcode National: GBR 8LC.CT0
Mapcode Global: WHDHX.BV09
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 15 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074609
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189212
Location: Woodhouse, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12
Civil Parish: Woodhouse
Built-Up Area: Woodhouse Eaves
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Woodhouse Eaves St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
WOODHOUSE CHURCH HILL (West Side)
SK 51 SW
Church of St. Paul
Church of 1837 and 1880. By W. Railton with transepts and other minor
alterations by Ewan Christian. Granite and slate rubble stone and
dressed stone with Swithland slate roof and stone coped gables with
kneelers. W. tower and door, nave, transepts and chancel with S.W.
and S.E. vestries. In lancet style with plinth, stepped buttresses
and hood moulds with foliage label stops. W. tower of 3 stages. Some
rebuilding 1903. W. door with double chamfered arch, double lancet above
with C19 stained glass. Metal clock dial over and triple lancet bell-
openings on each face with parapet and pinnacles. 2 blank lancet slits
on N. and S. faces and further clock dial on N. face. Inside, between
tower and nave,door with glazed iron grille at 1st stage level. Nave
has 3 lancets either side with late C19 and early C20 stained glass.
Roof of 5 bays of false hammer-beam collar-truss type on battlemented
stone corbels. N. and S. transept 2 bay arcades with double chamfered
arches on circular piers. 4 lancets and small W. door to N. and 3
lancets to S. with openwork timber roofs. Stained glass of c1880.
Moulded chancel arch with hood mould and label stops. Either side of
arch supported by small marble column on fluted corbel. 2 lancets to
N.side of chancel & 1 to S. with organ arch. Stained glass of late C19
and early C20. E. window of 3 coupled lancets, centre taller, with marble
columns and foliage capitals. Fine C19 stained glass. Wagon roof and
6-light brass chandelier. Coloured floor tiles probably Minton in chancel
and head of nave. Contemporary font, carved pulpit, brass lectern and
pews. S.W. vestry with gabled roof, S.E. of 1910, flat roofed with
parapet. Fine prominent position on rocky outcrop.
Listing NGR: SK5316714080
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings