This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7313 / 52°43'52"N
Longitude: -1.204 / 1°12'14"W
OS Eastings: 453850
OS Northings: 315150
OS Grid: SK538151
Mapcode National: GBR 8L6.NG4
Mapcode Global: WHDHX.GLXY
Entry Name: Church of St Mary in the Elms
Listing Date: 1 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074611
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189216
Location: Woodhouse, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12
Civil Parish: Woodhouse
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Woodhouse St Mary-in-the-Elms
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
WOODHOUSE FOREST ROAD (East Side)
SK 51 NW
Church of St. Mary
in the Elms
Church of C15, C17 and C19. Granite and slate rubble stone and dressed
stone and Swithland slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials.
Moulding band beneath nave window sills. W. tower; nave and chancel
under one roof; N. aisle and S. porch and S.W. vestry. Tower of 3 stages,
lower part of c1450 with upper part and tall pyramid roof of 1844 and
later C19. W. arch to nave. W. lancet with C19 stained glass. Flat
topped 1-light window on 2nd stage S. wall. Small 2 storey N.W. extension.
3 2-light flat topped bell openings and rubble stone stack with ashlar flue
on E. side above nave roof. Gilded weathercock on roof. Nave walls
partly of C15 with buttresses and on S. side 7 C17 2-light windows with
cambered lintels. Mainly C19 stained glass (one window 1845 by Warrington),
but fragments of heraldic glass of 1450. N. aisle of 1878 with 2 bay arcade:
double chamfered arches onto circular pier. 4 windows, three with stained
glass of 1943, 1928 and 1892. Further C17 2-light on N. wall of chancel
with further fragments of 1450 stained glass. 5-light Perp E. window renewed
1858 with stained glass by Hedgeland. Hood mould and label stops outside.
C19 triple purlin roof with collars and struts covers nave and chancel. C19
S. porch and C19 SW vestry possibly C17 in part. Blocked S. door to chancel.
Pulpit of 1615 with tall back panel; C18 and C19 wall monuments; possibly
medieval font; linenfold panelling in chancel brought in, partly C16/C17.
In N. aisle organ screen are 4 fragments of C16 wood carving, one dated 1597.
Listing NGR: SK5385015150
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings