This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7122 / 52°42'44"N
Longitude: -1.1851 / 1°11'6"W
OS Eastings: 455151
OS Northings: 313040
OS Grid: SK551130
Mapcode National: GBR 8LF.TFW
Mapcode Global: WHDJ3.R3W2
Entry Name: Swithland Hall
Listing Date: 25 July 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189148
Location: Swithland, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12
Civil Parish: Swithland
Built-Up Area: Swithland
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Swithland St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SWITHLAND MAIN STREET (South Side)
SK 51 SE
Mansion partially completed by 1834 and finished by 1852. Designed by
James Pennethorne for G.J. Danvers-Butler, later Earl of Lanesborough.
Granite and slate rubble stone and brick wholly stuccoed and painted, with
Swithland slate roofs behind a parapet. Symmetrical stuccoed chimney stacks
with flues grouped in 2, 3 and 4's. A central block and 2 wings in a
restrained neo-classical style with banded rustication to ground floor,
1st floor sill band and dentilled cornice. 2 storeys, with in part a sunken
basement, of mostly 6/6 or tripartite sashes. Entrance front has 1 storey
porch with 4 paired Greek Doric fluted columns up 4 stone steps. Within a
2 leaved door with side lights and long overlight in 4 panels with astragals.
To either side a pedimented section with scroll-headed tripartite below and
Grecian oriel above with sash beyond. Wings either side then project forwards:
3 sashes both floors to sides and ends with one blank either side. On ends
2 low curving walls masking basements. On outer sides various sashes and
entrances to basements. Central block of garden front projects forward,
1-3-1, with central canted bay carried upwards to 2nd storey, with a large
carved tablet of the Danvers-Butler arms in the centre. Sashes either side
and below with ground floor central sash having partly glazed doors approached
by 2 stone steps. Urn on top of this section's roof. Further canted bays
on the ends of the block: 1 to right end and 2 to left. Further sashes on
rear of wings. Projecting from that to right a 1 storey flat-roofed ballroom
with central canted bay. Inside an entrance vestibule with semi-circular
ends leads to staircase hall with oak staircase of c1834. Turned and fluted
oak balustrade. Good decoration of room to left of vestibule probably of
same date. Elsewhere simple fireplaces, cornices and all original doors.
1852 on wing rainwater heads.
Listing NGR: SK5515113040
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings