History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Anstey, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.672 / 52°40'19"N

Longitude: -1.1888 / 1°11'19"W

OS Eastings: 454948

OS Northings: 308566

OS Grid: SK549085

Mapcode National: GBR F24.M1

Mapcode Global: WHDJ9.Q33D

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 1 June 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074664

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189052

Location: Anstey, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE7

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Civil Parish: Anstey

Built-Up Area: Anstey

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Anstey St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Swithland

Listing Text

ANSTEY BRADGATE ROAD (North Side)
SK 50 NW
5/1
Church of St. Mary
1.6.66
GV II

Church of C14/C15 and 1846. Charnwood granite rubble stone with stone
dressings and slate roof with stone coped gables. W. tower, nave, aisles
and chancel. Tower of C14/C15 but restored, remainder completely rebuilt
in 1846. Tower of 3 stages with gargoyles and battlements. Low W. door
with Perp 2-light window above and 4 similar bell openings, renewed tracery.
Remainder has stepped buttresses and angle buttresses, some rising in
crocketted finials. Windows have Curvilinear type tracery with hood
moulds and label stops. Norman style door in N. wall W. end. S. door
with ogee shaped carved surround. Nave and aisle of 4 bays. Interior:
arcades of moulded arches springing from clustered piers. Clerestory of
small trefoils. Open truss type roof springs from carved corbels.
Similar roof to chancel, here painted. Windows have hoodmoulds and label
stops. E. window bottom lights blind, otherwise stained glass of 1904.
Stained glass in S.E. (1901) and a S. (1920) window. Fixed hatchment,
possibly plaster on N. wall.


Listing NGR: SK5494808566

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.