History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel and Ruins of Mansion

A Grade II* Listed Building in Newtown Linford, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6866 / 52°41'11"N

Longitude: -1.2111 / 1°12'39"W

OS Eastings: 453426

OS Northings: 310174

OS Grid: SK534101

Mapcode National: GBR 8LS.DNN

Mapcode Global: WHDJ3.CQJQ

Entry Name: Chapel and Ruins of Mansion

Listing Date: 1 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074677

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189075

Location: Newtown Linford, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE6

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Civil Parish: Newtown Linford

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Newtown Linford

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Swithland

Listing Text

NEWTOWN LINFORD BRADGATE PARK
SK 51 SW
3/24 Chapel and ruins
of mansion
1.6.66
GV II*
Chapel and ruins of mansion begun c1490. Diapered red brick with stone
dressings. Chapel has brick plinth with stone moulding, moulded stone
band, brick dentilled eaves and renewed Swithland slate roof, gable
facing. In gable end a large 6 x 4 leaded light mullion and transom window
with hood mould. 2 blocked windows left side. Inside 2 arched cross
beams, bricked floor, 1719 slate floor slab, and fine alabaster tomb,
possibly restored, of Henry Baron Grey of Groby, d. 1614, and his wife
Ann. Recumbent effigies. Tomb-chest in recess, flanked by columns and
carrying an entablature with achievement and supporters. Strapwork
decoration. Surrounding chapel the mansion ruins with 4 towers, 1 square,
3 polygonal, and 3 remaining to 2 storey height. 1 wall of Great Hall
remains with stone moulded frames of large windows. Mansion begun and
mostly built by Thomas Grey, 1st Marquis of Dorset, great grandfather of
Lady Jane Grey, whose childhood home this was. In 1547 Sir William
Cavendish and Bess of Hardwick married in chapel. The park setting
is a very impressive example of the ancient form of deer park with hills,
gnarled and knotted trees and a stream running through its valley
centre. Scheduled ancient monument. Plan in Forsyth, M., The History
of Bradgate, Bradgate Park Trust, Leicester, 1974.


Listing NGR: SK5342610174

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.