History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Helen

A Grade II Listed Building in Sharnford, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5228 / 52°31'22"N

Longitude: -1.2887 / 1°17'19"W

OS Eastings: 448360

OS Northings: 291899

OS Grid: SP483918

Mapcode National: GBR 7M8.YV1

Mapcode Global: VHCSY.MV3C

Entry Name: Church of St Helen

Listing Date: 7 October 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074701

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189032

Location: Sharnford, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE10

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Sharnford

Built-Up Area: Sharnford

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Sharnford with Wigston Parva

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Sapcote

Listing Text

SHARNFORD LEICESTER ROAD
SP 49 SE (south east side)


3/42 Church of St. Helen

7.10.57
II


Parish church. C13, C14, C15, nave altered C18, spire removed
1772, chancel 1846, south porch, 1854, restored 1866 by W. Smith,
nave reroofed and restored following a fire, 1985. Random
granite rubble with stone dressings and slate roofs. West tower,
nave, vestry, chancel, south porch. Unbuttressed west tower, 3
stages, has chamfered plinth, chamfered and moulded string
courses, coved eaves band and restored crenellated parapet with
crocketed pinnacles. Second stage has to west, a C14 Decorated
double lancet with moulded reveal and hood mould. Third stage
has 4 cusped double lancet bell openings, C19, with Y tracery and
chamfered reveals. 3 bay nave has chamfered plinth, moulded
eaves cornice, plain parapet and moulded coped gable. On the
north side, 4 buttresses with 2 setoffs. To the west, a C15
chamfered doorway with hood mould, flanked to left by 2 and to
right by single restored C15 triple lancets with panel tracery,
moulded reveals and hood moulds. The south side has 3
buttresses, that to the east of the porch with an incised
sundial, and similar fenestration, the central window having a
hood mould with mask stops. C19 vestry has coped gables and to
north, a cusped double lancet, Decorated style, with hood mould
and stops. Unbuttressed 2 bay chancel has coped east gable with
cross. East end has a Geometrical triple lancet with moulded
reveal and hood mould with mask stops. South side has an off-
centre pointed doorway with hood mould and mask stops, and to its
left, a Perpendicular style double lancet with ogee heads,
sgemental headed reveal and hood mould. South porch has
chamfered plinth, coped gable with kneelers and cross, and C13
style moulded doorway with hood mould and mask stops. Interior
has stone benches and scissor braced roof. Restored C15 5
centred arched doorway with C19 doors. C14 tower arch has rebate
and roll moulding and hood mould, and C20 glazed screen in the
top. West window has memorial stained glass, 1867. Nave south
east window has stained glass by H. Hughes, 1870. Kingpost roof
with struts. Vestry has in the east wall a moulded pointed
aumbry. Chancel has a mid C14 double chamfered and rebated arch
with half octagonal responds. North side has to left, a
segmental pointed opening with a C20 wooden screen. East end has
a stained glass window by H. Hughes, 1878. Scissor braced roof,
1985, with wall posts on corbels. Fittings include C19 moulded
octagonal font with textual inscription, traceried octagonal
pulpit and sounding board, pews and early C19 organ in Gothic
case. Brass eagle lectern, 1903. 2 C19 round headed commandment
boards. Memorials include large marble and slate tablet with
inscribed scroll, 1839, granite tablet with figure 1917, marble
tablet, 1915, and 4 brasses C19 and C20.


Listing NGR: SP4836091899

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.