This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.639 / 52°38'20"N
Longitude: -1.2274 / 1°13'38"W
OS Eastings: 452378
OS Northings: 304867
OS Grid: SK523048
Mapcode National: GBR 8MB.GJ5
Mapcode Global: WHDJ9.3XSQ
Entry Name: Parsons Farewell
Listing Date: 23 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074717
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188966
Location: Kirby Muxloe, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE9
Civil Parish: Kirby Muxloe
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Kirby Muxloe St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
KIRBY MUXLOE RATBY LANE
SK 50 SW
4/44 No 399 (Parsons Farewell)
Former school and schoolmaster's house, at one time used as vicarage, now house
and shop. 1857. by William Butterfield; altered 1929 by George Nott. Ground
floor is mostly of brick with bonded stone window jambs; upper storey rendered
and whitewashed with half-timbering; tiled roof, half-hipped to left, with orna-
mental ridge; battered brick chimneys with pilasters. Former schoolmaster's
house of 1½ storeys to left, with main school-room formerly in lower cross wing
to right. Irregular battered buttresses to ground floor. Asymmetrically
picturesque. Schoolmaster's house is of 2 wide bays with entrance hall between.
Narrow barred wooden sashes with shaped heads. Left bay has bind upper storey
jettied on brackets, and 3-light window to ground floor. Right bay has 3-light
and single light windows to former infants' room on ground floor, 2-light window
in large half-hipped semi-dormer, and single light in smaller matching semi-
domrer to left. Between bays is a door in gabled half-timbered porch of 1929,
and a 2-light wooden casement above, also inserted 1929. Gable of school-room
wing projects to right, formerly of one storey, but converted to 2 1929. This
gable end is completely half-timbered on brick plinth, with upper storey jettied
on shaped brackets. Cusped bargeboards with pierced ornament. C20 leaded case-
ments, 5-light to ground floor, 4-light above. Weathercock. Right side has
central buttress and retains one original 2-light leaded window. Lean-to lobby,
probably of later date, to rear gable. Rear of house has been raised and altered.
(The Builder, Vol 15 p.377).
Listing NGR: SK5237804867
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings