History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cosby House

A Grade II Listed Building in Cosby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5477 / 52°32'51"N

Longitude: -1.1963 / 1°11'46"W

OS Eastings: 454595

OS Northings: 294729

OS Grid: SP545947

Mapcode National: GBR 8NJ.BCB

Mapcode Global: VHCT0.67X8

Entry Name: Cosby House

Listing Date: 7 October 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074728

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188996

Location: Cosby, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Cosby

Built-Up Area: Cosby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Cosby St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Narborough

Listing Text

COSBY CROFT ROAD
SP 59 SW (south west side)


4/6 Cosby House
7.10.57


G.V. II


Farmhouse, now a house. c.1608, with C19 additions and C19 and
C20 alterations. Brick with stone dressings and slate roofs.
Chamfered stone and rubble plinth, quoins, coped gables, moulded
dentillated eaves to east front. 2 external lateral brick stacks
with renewed diagonally set double stalks, plus 2 C19 gable
stacks, that to north external. 2 storeys plus garrets, 4
unequal bays. L-plan. East front has an off-centre round headed
mid C20 doorway with a recessed 6 panel C19 door with fanlight
and to its left, a large C20 casement, both with the remains of a
flat hood mould. Beyond, to left, a blocked window with
chamfered surround. To the right, a C19 triple sash and beyond,
a basket arched blocked doorway. Above, a slightly off-centre
glazing bar sash, flanked on either side by a triple sash, that
to the left in an altered C17 opening. To the left, a gabled
wing with a double C20 French window with flanking lights and a
wooden lintel. Above it a triple sash, and above again, a 2 light
sliding sash in a chamfered opening. To the right, a single
storey C19 lean-to outbuilding with a C20 2 light casement.
South side has to the right a C20 2 light casement in a C17
opening. To the left, beyond an external stack, 2 single storey
C19 outbuildings separated by a boundary,wall, with C20
fenestration. Above, to the left, a 2 light mullioned casement
and to the right, a C20 2 light casement in a C17 opening. Rear
elevation has to the left an external stack flanked to the left
by a blocked basket arched doorway and above it, a 2 light
mullioned casement. To the right, a gabled stair enclosure with,
on the first floor, an altered 2 light stair window with flat
hood mould, and to its left a small fixed light. Above it, a 2
light mullioned casement. To right again, a slightly projecting
wing with a 5 light C20 casement and above it, a 4 light C19
casement in an altered C17 opening. Above again, a 2 light
mullioned casement. Beyond, to the right, a single storey C19
outbuilding with a 6 panel C19 door and a 3 light sliding sash in
the return angle. Beyond, to the left, a C19 lean-to outbuilding
with a C20 6 panel door to the right, and 2 C19 2 light casements
to the left. North gable has to the right a C20 full height 2
light casement and above it, an altered 2 light C18 casement.
Above again, 2 C20 2 light casements. Exposed queen post truss
with V struts. Interior has framed and stud partition walls,
chamfered span beams, principal rafter roof with wind braces,
struts and double notched purlins, lower flight of mid C18 dogleg
stair with Chinese Chippendale balusters and moulded handrail.
The upper flight is a mid C20 replica. To the south east, the
foot of an earlier winder stair. Former central hall and former
hall chamber have, to west, Tudor arched ashlar fireplaces with
chamfered openings, that below with an oven. Southern first
floor room has a similar fireplace with lambs' tongue stops.
Southern ground floor sitting room has a C18 Classical wooden
fireplace from Hazelbech Hall. North eastern first floor room
has a re-sited panelled oak dado with reeded frieze, inscribed 'R
M (Richard Miles) 1608'. Other rooms have 3 six panel C17 framed
doors.


Listing NGR: SP5459594729

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.