History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Infirmary

A Grade II Listed Building in Countesthorpe, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5553 / 52°33'19"N

Longitude: -1.1618 / 1°9'42"W

OS Eastings: 456928

OS Northings: 295602

OS Grid: SP569956

Mapcode National: GBR 8ND.T92

Mapcode Global: VHCT0.T15F

Entry Name: The Infirmary

Listing Date: 21 September 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074731

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188900

Location: Countesthorpe, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE8

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Countesthorpe

Built-Up Area: Countesthorpe

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Countesthorpe St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Ketteringham

Listing Text

COUNTESTHORPE

SP59 NE THE DRIVE (West Side)

1/30 The Infirmary

21.9.81

GV II

Former infirmary built for the Countesthorpe cottage homes by the Leicester
Poor Law Union in 1884. Architect I. Baradale. Brick with Welsh slate hipped
roof and finials. Symmetrical facade. Central portion stepped forward is
single storeyed with attic. The attic has a hipped dormer window with carved
timber cheeks. 2 light casement windows. The roof is almost pyramidal with
finials. On each side of the dormer is a tall brick chimney stack. The
ground floor has two canted bay windows with slate roofs containing narrow
sash windows. Between the bays are two narrow single light windows. Single
storeyed wing to each side with hipped roofs with finials, and 4 narrow
windows to each side. There is a doorway on each side adjacent to the central
portion. Each has a rectangular fan light with brick arch and cambered brick
head. Doors are half glazed with small panes. There are also 2 triangular
slate roof louvres to each side in the roof.


Listing NGR: SP5692895602

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.