This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6328 / 52°37'58"N
Longitude: -1.1368 / 1°8'12"W
OS Eastings: 458516
OS Northings: 304243
OS Grid: SK585042
Mapcode National: GBR FGL.03
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.H2WY
Entry Name: 40, Friar Lane
Listing Date: 21 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188848
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Mary de Castro
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
5304 (South Side)
SK 5804 SE 3/39A No 40
Former Turkish Baths, now library and offices. Built 1872 to the designs of
J Everard, with C20 alterations. Brick with ashlar dressings, and slate roofs.
Street front, 3 storey, 7 bays. Off centre doorway with panel door and overlight,
with a plain sash and 2 casements to the left, and 2 sashes and a round headed
doorway with hood to the right. Above 7 irregularly spaced sashes, all with
segment brick heads and ashlar keystones. Above again 3 glazing bar dormers.
To the rear of the site the main octagonal bath hall, 2 storey topped with a
lantern, this section is now floored in but all the original structure survives.
The main octagonal hall has 8 marble columns, standing on moulded ashlar bases,
supporting finely carved capitals decorated with flowers and insects. These
support 8 sharply pointed and moulded ashlar arches, with complex vaulted ribs
decorated with dog-tooth and brick infill. Above is an octagonal lantern, with
eight pointed windows containing stained glass, and above a polychromatic brick
vault. Some of the vaulted passages which lead off the main hall have finely
carved ornate capitals.
Listing NGR: SK5851604242
Other nearby listed buildings