This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5537 / 52°33'13"N
Longitude: -1.138 / 1°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 458541
OS Northings: 295440
OS Grid: SP585954
Mapcode National: GBR 8NF.T9N
Mapcode Global: VHCT1.727P
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 7 October 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074767
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188885
Location: Countesthorpe, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE8
Civil Parish: Countesthorpe
Built-Up Area: Countesthorpe
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Countesthorpe St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP59 NE MAIN STREET (West Side)
1/15 Church of St. Andrew
Parish Church. Tower of C15, the rest of 1841 by H. Goddard. Interior
remodelled in 1907 by T.P. Brown. Random granite rubble with limestone
dressings and Welsh slate roofs. West tower, nave with two aisles, chancel.
Tower has angle buttresses and paired foiled lights to bell chamber.
Embattled parapet with angle pinnacles with fleurons above corbels. In the
plinth of the west wall a door has been cut through, with a Perpendicular
three light window above it. Coped gabled south porch, buttressed south aisle
which has lancet windows. Nave and aisles roofed in a single span. Lancet
windows in chancel but a three light Decorated style east window. Lancet and
wide traceried lights to north, and vestry. Inside, the rubble walls are
exposed throughout, and the triple chamfered tower arch looks early C14, above
it a former roof profile is apparently visible. The three bay arcades are of
brick, flat arches with minimal abaci to square pillars. Roof springs from
corbels, the tie beams surmounted by king struts. Chancel arch also brick,
in the same minimal style as the nave arcades, with a low relief brick cross
ahove it. Wood panelling and reredos to chancel. Medieval font, octagonal
with plain panels and moulding above the shaft. Arms of George II over the
south doorway. Stained glass; in the east window of the south aisle, by
Kempe, commemorating St. Andrew. Undated glass in chancel east window
predominantly blue and red, depicting the Crucifixion.
Listing NGR: SP5854195440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings