This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6346 / 52°38'4"N
Longitude: -1.1365 / 1°8'11"W
OS Eastings: 458536
OS Northings: 304449
OS Grid: SK585044
Mapcode National: GBR FGK.2F
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.J11J
Entry Name: 5, St Martins East
Listing Date: 5 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188799
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/3/103 ST MARTINS EAST
House, now offices. Adjoins No 3 (qv) and is slightly lower. Early C18. Red brick. Slate roof with gable ends. High plinth. Moulded brick eaves cornice. Brick and stucco band. Three storeys. Three windows, segmental brick arches, sashes with glazing bars, flush casing. Good wood doorcase with fluted pilasters and deeply carved brackets, formed of foliage and cherub's heads, moulded segmental pediment, rectangular fanlight, fielded-panel door.
To rear is a wing of mid C19 comprising a flat-roofed lobby link to a high single-storey Conference Room, originally probably a teaching room for a Dancing Academy. This is of brick with buttresses and slate roof with end stack and has 2 4-light windows on north side with further blocked window.
INTERIOR of Conference Room has openwork wooden roof, at present partly concealed, consisting of 2 principal-rafter trusses set on moulded corbels with arch braces to collars. Above the present suspended ceiling are 2 butt-purlin collar beam trusses with ogee braces and turned central king posts. Match-boarding to underside of roof. Around the room a dado rail with match-board panelling below. C19 fireplace.
HISTORY. During the C19 this house was occupied by 2 teachers of dancing: Charles Smart 1864-70 and Morris Barnett 1870-99 and the mid C19 date of the present Conference Room suggests that it was purpose-built for a Dancing Academy and is thus a very unusual survival.
Report on 3/5 St.Martins East by TR Projects, Nov.2001.
Nos 3, 5 and 7 form a group with St Martin's Cathedral Guildhall Lane.
Listing NGR: SK5853604449
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings