This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6337 / 52°38'1"N
Longitude: -1.1322 / 1°7'55"W
OS Eastings: 458829
OS Northings: 304342
OS Grid: SK588043
Mapcode National: GBR FHK.0S
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.L229
Entry Name: Fountain
Listing Date: 14 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074781
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188819
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester Holy Trinity with St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
TOWN HALL SQUARE
SK 5804 SE 3/342
Dated 1879. Designed by F.J. Hames, the architect of the Town Hall.
Cast iron on stone base. Four large winged lions surrounding Ionic columned
central pedestal, surmounted by shallow bowl with foliage decoration,
out of which rises pilastered pedestal surmounted by smaller bowl with
central fountain finial. Stands in circular pond at centre of Town Hall
Square. Presented to the Borough by High Bailiff Israel Hart.
The Town Hall, Pickfords, Fountain and War Memorial rear elevations of
Nos 7, 9 and 11 Granby Street and Horsefair Street and all listed buildings
in Bishop Street form a group. (Pickfords is a building of local interest).
Listing NGR: SK5882904342
Other nearby listed buildings