This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6343 / 52°38'3"N
Longitude: -1.1352 / 1°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 458622
OS Northings: 304409
OS Grid: SK586044
Mapcode National: GBR FGK.CK
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.J1MT
Entry Name: 2 St Martins
Listing Date: 14 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188794
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/12/2016
SK 5804 SE
ST MARTINS (South side)
(Formerly listed as Number 2, National Westminster Bank)
Former bank. 1900-1902. By S. Perkins Pick, principal architect of Everard & Pick of Leicester, for Pares's Bank. Sculpture by C.J Allen et al, and plasterwork by G.P Bankart. Single storey addition to right return, in the same style, c.1950, and further additions and alterations later C20. Portland stone ashlar with granite plinth and Welsh slate roofs. Baroque Revival style.
Rusticated ground floor. Modillion cornice and pierced balustrade. Windows are mainly original glazing bar sashes. Cubic central block, 2 storeys, 1/3/1 bays. Lower side ranges, also 2 storeys, the left range splayed. Single storey addition at rear of right range. Later C20 addition to left range is not of special interest. Entrance front has projecting central round-arched doorway in rusticated coved surround with segmental arched cornice, flanked by elaborate wrought iron lamp standards. Half-glazed double door and fanlight. Beyond, single windows. Above, Giant Ionic paired columns in antis flanked by frieze of classical figures in relief. In the central recess, a 3-light rusticated window with flanking elliptical windows with keyblocks. The columns support a heavy entablature with balustered parapet and modillion cornice. Projecting end bays, topped with domed turrets with Tuscan columns, have single small windows and above, tall windows with broken pediments and cartouches. Outside, wrought iron area railings across the frontage.
Left return, to Hotel Street, is a symmetrical composition, 5 windows. Ground floor has 7 windows. 2-storey centrepiece incorporates a tripartite ground floor window with rusticated surround, and above, a pedimented round arched window with rusticated Ionic columns on consoles in the form of angels and flanked by female figures. Right return to Greyfriars, 6 windows, is also symmetrical, with slightly projecting terminal pavilions. In the centre, 4 windows with rusticated surrounds and keystones. Above, 4 windows set between paired Ionic 3/4 columns in antis. Pedimented pavilions have single corniced first-floor windows flanked by rusticated Ionic columns on consoles. Single storey addition has 5 windows with rusticated surrounds.
INTERIOR: Half-panelled square banking hall has shallow dome and central skylight surrounded by zodiacal symbols. On each side, coffered round arches, each containing 3 smaller round arched recesses. At the front, a tripartite window with projecting surround, flanked by oval windows. At the rear, 3 tall round arched windows, and above, a 5-light window. Similar 5-light windows on each side. All these windows have non-figurative stained glass. Manager's office has glazed wooden screen and door with fluted columns. Open-well main staircase has turned balusters and panelled square newels topped with urns. First floor officials' landing has round arches and skylights and original doorcases and doors. Concrete service staircases at rear, one spiral, one dogleg. Basement strongrooms have fireproof concrete and steel construction.
This building is a good provincial example of Baroque Revival commercial architecture, and demonstrates the increasing scale of commercial operations in Leicester at the start of the C20.
Listing NGR: SK5862204409
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings