This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6417 / 52°38'30"N
Longitude: -0.9888 / 0°59'19"W
OS Eastings: 468522
OS Northings: 305362
OS Grid: SK685053
Mapcode National: GBR 9NZ.8V6
Mapcode Global: WHFKJ.SVBP
Entry Name: Ingarsby Old Hall and Chapel and Garden Wall
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190691
Location: Hungarton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Hungarton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Hungarton St John The Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 60 NE
19.10.51 Ingarsby Old Hall and Chapel
and Garden Wall
Country house. Late C15 and C16 - C18, dated 1706, with C19/C20 alterations.
Ashlar with plinth of coursed rubble stone in part and Swithland slate roofs
partly twin span and of Welsh slate to rear. Brick end stacks. Stone coped
gables in part. L plan, the late C15 range projecting forwards on left, a
1930's linking range between it and main range. Main range of 2½ storeys
and basement of 3 C20 mullion and transom windows with leaded lights : 3-light,
1-light, 3-light. On ground floor a similar 3-light either side a central
gabled stone porch. Doorway with 2-leaved door up 3 stone steps. 1-light
over. Basement window to right. 2 2-light hipped dormers. On right end a
1 storey extension with 2 2-light stone mullion windows. A 2 storey extension
to the rear, with 2-light hipped dormer. To the left of the main range the
linking range. A pair of 2-light stone mullion and transom windows with above,
and set back, a 3-light stone mullion window. The late C15 range is of 2 1/2
storeys of stone mullion windows with hood moulds. The leaded lights have
Tudor arched heads. On facing gable a 3-light both floors, the lower blocked.
In gable a simple 2-light without hood mould. The stone coped gables of this
range have kneelers and finials. On right inner return 2 3-lights on both
floors with central ground floor 1-light. Doorway to left. Similar windows
and massive projecting stone stack with C20 brick flue on garden front to
left. This range is called the Chapel, apparently because fragments of stained
glass were in windows in C19. However a large 1st floor fireplace with garderobe
to right suggests a domestic use. Fireplace has moulded Tudor arch. On a
window sill a loose stone brought from elsewhere and inscribed W.G. 1698 or
9 may also refer to refronting of main range. Within the main range a fireplace
with 2 Ionic pilasters and alabaster plaque over, showing arms of Cave and
Whalley and dated 1579. In central 1st floor windows are reset fragments of
probably C16 painted glass showing crowns, fleurs-de-lys and portcullis.
A garden wall of coursed squared stone, c2m high and mostly Swithland slate
coped extends from left end of wing round the garden. Ingarsby was owned
by the Lords Maynard from c1640 to the C19. White's Leicestershire and Rutland,
1846, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK6852205362
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings