This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6588 / 52°39'31"N
Longitude: -0.9798 / 0°58'47"W
OS Eastings: 469099
OS Northings: 307277
OS Grid: SK690072
Mapcode National: GBR 9NS.C2R
Mapcode Global: WHFKJ.XFLJ
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074823
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190700
Location: Hungarton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Hungarton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Hungarton St John The Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 60 NE CHURCH LANE (East Side)
29.12.66 Church of St. John the Baptist
Church. C14/C15, restored C19. Coursed rubble stone with ashlar tower and
leaded, part parapetted, roofs. W tower and spire, nave, chancel, S aisle
and S porch. Buttresses, including diagonal and angle, all with set-offs.
Stone coped gables with finials. Windows mostly have hood moulds. C14 tower
of 3 stages with plinth, angle buttresses, W window with C19 stained glass,
small 1-lights to SW stair, clock face to W and 4 2-light bell openings.
Above is a frieze with fleurons, heads and central gargoyles, then battlements
and recessed crocketted spire with small quatrefoil lucarnes. Inside is a
triple chamfered arch to nave. Nave has 3 large Perp. N windows. Transoms
and four-centred heads. Cusped lights. 2 have stained glass, of 1937, and
1867. C 14 4 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers.
Perp. clerestory with 4 2-light windows on S side. C19 4 bay low-pitch tie
beam roof. Double chamfered chancel arch. C14 chancel has windows with restored
Curvilinear tracery. Stained glass of 1856-7. S door. C19 3 bay roof similar
to nave. Squint from S aisle. S aisle has Perp. E window and S and W windows
with restored Curvilinear tracery. 1 S window with stained glass of 1822,
rest with mid or later C19 stained glass. S door with double chamfered arch.
C15 S porch with many moulded doorway. Holy water niche to right and small
niche (with later statue) over. Inside are C15 parclose screen to Ashby Chapel
in S aisle, square Norman font decorated with concentric lozenges, 6 hatchments,
and wall monuments. These include those to G. Ashbie, 1653; Dorothy Ashby,
1681; Shuckburgh Ashby 1792, by Thomas Banks; and Francis Cave de Baggrave,
1568 and wife. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877 and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK6909907277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings