This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6441 / 52°38'38"N
Longitude: -0.8253 / 0°49'31"W
OS Eastings: 479577
OS Northings: 305793
OS Grid: SK795057
Mapcode National: GBR CRV.84J
Mapcode Global: WHFKM.9S7W
Entry Name: Withcote Chapel
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190655
Location: Withcote, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE15
Civil Parish: Withcote
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Owston and Withcote (Whatborough Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 70 NE OAKHAM ROAD (South East Side)
2/126 Withcote Chapel
Chapel. C15, restored and refurbished inside, c1744. Finely coursed ironstone
with limestone dressings and leaded roof. 4 bays, the nave and chancel
undifferentiated. Square headed windows each with 3 round headed lights linked
by continuous hoodmould. North doorway with 4-centred arched head, roll moulded
architrave and square hoodmould, with decoration in the spandrels. Traces
of blocked west doorway, and south door similar to north. Buttressed, and
with embattled parapet which is continuous across the low pitched east and
west gables. Tall angle pinnacles are reminiscent of Kings College Chapel,
Inside, the fittings are largely C18. Wood dado panelling, early C18 wrought
iron altar rails, and reredos in Renaissance style: tripartite, the centre
piece with fluted Corinthian shafts and the canted side pieces pedimented
on Corinthian columns, each containing an identical marble monument. That
to north commemorates Geffrey Johnson, d. 1742 and his sister, and the south,
Matthew Johnson d. 1723 and Margaret his wife. The monuments are each surmounted
by urns and a shield of arms. Plaster modillion eaves cornice.
Stained glass of c153D-40 and attributed to Galeon Hone, the King's glazier
who worked at Kings College Chapel. Large standing figures of the prophets
and Old Testiment figures to south, apostles to north. In the eastern windows,
3 smaller panels depict saints and the crucifixion in landscape settings.
Strong rich colours and fluid design. Some heraldic panels, one containing
the personal arms of Jane Seymour (1536-7).
Listing NGR: SK7957705793
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings