This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6312 / 52°37'52"N
Longitude: -0.8233 / 0°49'23"W
OS Eastings: 479735
OS Northings: 304367
OS Grid: SK797043
Mapcode National: GBR CS1.2MW
Mapcode Global: WHFKT.B455
Entry Name: Launde Abbey
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074857
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190571
Location: Launde, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Launde
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Loddington St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 70 SE LAUNDE ROAD
5/44 Launde Abbey
19 10 51
Large House. Early C17, restored and added to in early C19. Finely coursed
ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings, and Welsh slate roof. Two storeyed
with attics. H plan. Principal (west) front has outer gabled wings, each
with canted and embattled two storey bay window with mullioned and transomed
windows of 2 and 3-lights, ovolo moulded. Above the bays a 4-light ovolo moulded
mullioned window to attic and the gable itself corbelled out on moulded kneelers,
coped and with finials. Main range has central doorway in porch of c1850
in style to suit the house, with 4-centred arched.doorway and coped gable corbelled
out and with finials. The windows to each side of this are not quite symmetrically
arranged, since to the left, on each floor are paired 2-light windows, and
a 3-light window, while to the right, the outer window on the ground floor
is of 5-lights and that above it of 4. 4-light King-mullioned window above
the door. All windows are mullioned and transomed and have caveto mouldings.
String courses form hood moulds to ground and first floor windows. Three dormers
above have coped gables corbelled out and carrying finials. They contain mullioned
windows, the central of 4-lights, the outer of three, each with flat hood mould.
North side has two projecting gable wall stacks and single corbelled gabled
dormer and 2 paired 4-light windows, which are Victorian renewals. Rear elevation
has outer gabled wings, that to north has a 6-light mullioned and transomed
window to ground floor and 4-lights above, both King-mullions, and four mullioned
lights to the attic. All have caveto moulding. The Chapel projects from the
southern wing. Between the wings stretches an early Victorian extension of
two storeys, flat roofed, with four bays of 3-light mullioned and transomed
windows on each floor. South gable wall continues into the fabric of the Chapel,
incorporating the shafts of the C12 crossing with a fragment of the arch above.
Two side wall stacks and two 3-light mullioned and transomed windows to ground
floor, 2 and 3-lights above with a single coped gabled and corbelled dormer
Inside the house, the staircase is probably late cl7; open string stair with
three slender balusters to each tread, two fluted the other more gently moulded.
The handrail is swept over the newels and terminates in a gentle spiral. Four-centred
arched stone fireplace in the hall, and panelling which is early C19 in Jacobean
style. Dining room also probably refurbished c1820, but using much old material;
the fireplace has a 4-centred arch set between stone pilasters with stone panels
above, one dated 1689. This is contained in outer wood chimney piece with
ornately worked pilasters and panels, and figures in high relief. One panel
dated 1676 is incorporated. The entire room is panelled in the Jacobean style
with frieze, blank arcading etc., and it incorporates many decorated panels,
various low reliefs depicting biblical scenes are probably Flemish. Others
are C17 English in style, scroll work or geometric designs. One is dated 1663.
The library and drawing room are of c1820. In the drawing room a doorcase
with reeded architrave and gothick decoration in its round arched head. Decorative
round arched niches flank the marble Adam style fireplace. Simple plaster cornice.
Victorian additions to rear represent largely an extension of the service accommodation.
Listing NGR: SK7973504367
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings