This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6638 / 52°39'49"N
Longitude: -0.8556 / 0°51'20"W
OS Eastings: 477496
OS Northings: 307960
OS Grid: SK774079
Mapcode National: GBR BQ3.SM7
Mapcode Global: WHFKL.T9SP
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190607
Location: Owston and Newbold, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE15
Civil Parish: Owston and Newbold
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Owston and Withcote (Whatborough Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 70 NE MAIN STREET (West Side)
2/79 The Priory
House, formerly Vicarage. Mid Cl7 with mid Victorian additions now forming
entrance front. Finely coursed ironstone rubble with white ashlar dressings,
and stone tiled roof. Two storeyed with attic. Victorian entrance front
with service wing recessed to left, and projecting full height porch with
replaced or recut C15 doorway with hollow chamfered four-centred arch. Single
window above beneath coped gable. Porch has gathered and stepped buttresses.
To its right a broader gable with tall 4-light ovolo moulded mullioned and
transomed window lighting stairs, and 3-light stone mullioned window to right,
2-lights above. West side has expressed chimney in Victorian range, and gable
end of original house, with a Victorian mullioned window, one on each floor.
Apex of gable is filled with white ashlar. South front represents the original
Cl7 building; symmetrical about a central doorway, C15 with hollow chamfered
four-centred archway. Flanking it are Victorian canted bay windows with stone
mullions and transoms and parapets. To either side of the bays the plinth
is dropped to take the former window openings, the quoins of which may still
partially be seen. 3 and 2-light ovolo moulded mullions to first floor, which
is partially of white ashlar. These windows appear to be Victorian renewals.
Centrally placed, a small coped gabled dormer with roof that springs high
above the eaves level and containing a 2-light window and sundial in the apex.
Sundial carries a date, almost illegible but may be 1649. Central stack with
4 stone shafts. Coped gables.
Listing NGR: SK7749607960
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings