This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1046 / 53°6'16"N
Longitude: -2.174 / 2°10'26"W
OS Eastings: 388444
OS Northings: 356391
OS Grid: SJ884563
Mapcode National: GBR 135.95C
Mapcode Global: WHBCF.K7Y9
Entry Name: Knypersley Hall
Listing Date: 22 August 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 438454
Location: Biddulph, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST8
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Biddulph
Built-Up Area: Biddulph
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Knypersley St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
BIDDULPH CONWAY ROAD,
SJ 85 NE Knypersley
1915-0/7/10013 Knypersley Hall
House. Circa early-mid C18; reduced and remodelled C19. Roughcast brick. Slate hipped
roof with lead rolls to hips and ridge. Brick axial stacks. PLAN: The original C18 house was
of three storeys and 2:3:2 bays facing south west. In the C19 the four west bays [most of the
house to the north west] were demolished and the 4-bay south east side became the principal
front. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, symmetrical 3:2:3 window south east front, the flanking 3
windows in 2-storey canted bays, the centre round-headed, all with keyblocks, cills and
12-pane sashes, ground floor right and centre with thick glazing bars, ground floor left
glazing bars removed; doorway to left of centre with fanlight and glazed and panelled door.
Left return, remains of original front, 1:2 bays, left bay recessed. The north east, originally
the rear, is recessed at centre; the north west elevation is irregular. INTERIOR: Fine
open-well, open-string staircase has scrolled tread-ends and a wrought-iron and brass
balustrade with anthemion decoration and monogram JB and date 1800, signed W. Marsh;
the moulded mahogany handrail is wreathed over the curtail. The drawing room has a
remarkable mid C18 Rococo plaster ceiling, the design spread over the flat ground with
arabesques, interlacing, cartouches, shells, ribands, baskets of flowers, branches of blossom and
delicate sheaves, all in deep relief, especially the elaborate centrepiece; there is an enriched
modillion cornice. The front left [east] room has a moulded dentilled cornice. NOTE:
Knypersley Hall was the seat of Sir Francis Bowyer in the early C17. The house was rebuilt
in the early to mid C18 and in the early C19 it became the home of the Bateman family.
James Bateman, the eminent hoticulturalist and landscape gardener, who designed the gardens
at Biddulph Grange [qv], grew up at Knypersley where he executed his first landscape
designs. The house and park are illustrated on a Spode plate made to commemorate James
Bateman's 21st birthday in 1832. SOURCE: Hayden, P., Biddulph Grange: National Trust
1989; pp 62 and 63.
Listing NGR: SJ8844456391
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings