This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8298 / 52°49'47"N
Longitude: -0.7378 / 0°44'16"W
OS Eastings: 485133
OS Northings: 326553
OS Grid: SK851265
Mapcode National: GBR CPN.L8S
Mapcode Global: WHFJW.M4VF
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074988
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190288
Location: Sproxton, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14
Civil Parish: Sproxton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Saltby St Peter (High Framland Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 8427-8527 SPROXTON CROXTON ROAD
36/59 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C13 west tower, early C14 nave and chancel, reworked in C15
and chancel further remodelled during 1885 restoration. Ironstone with
limestone dressings. Parapets hide roofs, but probably lead. Unbuttressed
3-stage tower with lancet west window and lancets to north and south sides
of ringing chamber. Limestone late C14 belfry stage with louvred 2-light
cusped windows. Plain parapet with 4 corner pinnacles. Perpendicular
gabled south porch with double chamfered entrance arch. To left one 2-
light panel tracery window. To right one 4-light tall panel tracery
window. Blocked north nave door and one 3-light Perpendicular window to
east. 3 2-light late C19 Flowing chancel south windows and 3-light
reticulated east window. Blocked chancel north door to east of a brick
organ chamber. Interior. Triple chamfered tower arch with 2 orders of
shafts carrying moulded capitals. Above is blocked east window tower.
5 bay nave roof of canted tie beams on solid arched braces dropping on wall
posts to stone head corbels. Moulded ridge piece and one pair moulded butt
purlins. Plain C13 drum font on hexagonal stem. Double chamfered chancel
arch on polygonal responds and with polygonal moulded capitals. Chancel
with double chamfered C19 arch leading into organ chamber recess to north.
Roof of canted tie beams on arched braces with traceried spandrels. Wall
posts to corbels. Moulded ridge piece and one pair moulded butt purlins.
Crenellated wall plate. This all 1885. Bench sedilia and cusped piscina
similarly of 1885.
Listing NGR: SK8513326553
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings