History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Helen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Redmile, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8983 / 52°53'54"N

Longitude: -0.8577 / 0°51'27"W

OS Eastings: 476934

OS Northings: 334043

OS Grid: SK769340

Mapcode National: GBR BMC.CY1

Mapcode Global: WHFJF.SDQX

Entry Name: Church of St Helen

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075010

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190240

Location: Redmile, Melton, Leicestershire, NG13

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Redmile

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Plungar St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Redmile

Listing Text

SK 7634-7734 REDMILE BARKESTONE LANE
(North side)
46/304 Plungar
1.1.68 Church of St Helen

GV II*

Parish church. C14 tower, the rest C15. West tower, nave, south aisle
with chapel, and chancel. Aisle rebuilt and chapel added 1855-56.
Ironstone with limestone dressings and lead roofs. 3 stage tower without
buttresses. Arched west lancet with generous mouldings to jambs. Storeys
divided by string courses. Plain ringing chamber stage and belfry with 2-
light cusped and ogeed windows. Crenellated parapet. Central gabled porch
leading into aisle is flanked by one 3-light Perpendicular window each
side, both under triangular heads. Stepped buttress to east of aisle
separates chapel, which has a similar window.. Short chancel lit through
one 2-light south window and a 3-light Perpendicular east window. Gabled
vestry to north chancel wall. Interior. 3 bay south arcade on cruciform
piers with polygonal bases and capitals. Double chamfered arches. Triple
chamfered tower arch with the inner order hollow and decorated with
fleurons, ballflower and ballflower being consumed in a dragon' s mouth.
One ballflower has a face inside. Other grotesques and a lizard, all
rather good quality. Nave roof of tie beams on arched braces, dropping on
wall posts to angel corbels. Moulded ridge piece and one pair moulded
purlins. 4 fine bench ends in chancel of c. 1500: 2 tiers of arcading,
geometric tracery and poppyheads.


Listing NGR: SK7693434043

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.