History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eaton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8483 / 52°50'54"N

Longitude: -0.8507 / 0°51'2"W

OS Eastings: 477498

OS Northings: 328489

OS Grid: SK774284

Mapcode National: GBR BMZ.FR6

Mapcode Global: WHFJM.XN2R

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190185

Location: Eaton, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Eaton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Eastwell St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Stathern

Listing Text

SK 7728 EATON SCALFORD ROAD
(East side)
Eastwell
37/354 Church of St Michael
1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. C13, altered C14. Ironstone with limestone dressings.
Lead roofs to nave and aisles, pantiles to chancel and south porch, the
latter of late C20 concrete variety. 3 stage west tower, externally of 4
stages divided by string-coursed set-offs. Lancet west window below niche.
2-light restored early Decorated belfry windows below limestone crenellated
parapet. Cusped 3-light late C14 north aisle windows under straight heads:
2 to flank, one each to east and west ends. South aisle with one wide
lancet east of gabled porch. 2-light Decorated east window to aisle. 3 2-
light clerestory windows of same date and type as north aisle. 2 2-light
arched chancel south windows, one reticulated, the other with internal
ogee. 3-light reticulated east chancel window. No windows to north
chancel. Interior. 3-bay arcade supported on circular piers to south,
quatrefoil piers to north. The former with waterholding bases, moulded
circular capitals with nailhead decoration and double chamfered arches.
The latter have moulded bases and polygonal moulded capitals and also
double chamfered arches. Nave roof of ties supported on arched braces and
wall posts dropping to corbels. Spurs rise to moulded ridge piece. 2
moulded purlins. Stone C14 chancel screen extended up to roof by plastered
walling: arched central doorway and to each side one 3-light ogeed window
under straight heads. Rustic C16 chancel roof: ties support Queen posts
rising to collars, 3 tiers butt purlins and curved windbracing. An arch in
chancel wall contains stone effigy of a priest, c. 1325. South-west nave
pier respond has brass inscription panel in memory of Elizabeth Healey,
1680.


Listing NGR: SK7749828489

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.