History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brooksby Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hoby with Rotherby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7381 / 52°44'17"N

Longitude: -1.0076 / 1°0'27"W

OS Eastings: 467100

OS Northings: 316072

OS Grid: SK671160

Mapcode National: GBR 9MS.B2Y

Mapcode Global: WHFK4.HFDQ

Entry Name: Brooksby Hall

Listing Date: 14 July 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075040

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190214

Location: Hoby with Rotherby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Hoby with Rotherby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Upper Wreake Parish

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Willoughby on the Wolds

Listing Text

HOBY WITH BROOKSBY ROAD
ROTHERBY Brooksby

SK 61 NE Brooksby Hall
1/280
14.7.53
GV II*

Country house, now agricultural college. Late C16, altered early C18 and
early C19. Extended and altered 1890-1 by R J and J Goodacre of Leicester.
Other minor alterations by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Lord Beatty c1912.
Coursed squared ironstone with limestone dressings, Swithland slate roofs,
stone lateral and ridge stacks with brick flues. H plan.
2 storeys and attic; 7-window range. 3-bay hall range between projecting
wings has central part-glazed door with moulded stone surround and cornice,
flanked by 12-pane sash windows with moulded eared surrounds. Square six-
pane sash windows to 1st floor with moulded stone surrounds, that to centre
eared, and battlemented parapet. String courses at 1st floor level and to
base of parapet.
West wing to left has large canted stone bay window of cl890 with 8-pane
sashes, moulded stone surrounds, plain ironstone parapet with limestone
coping and quoins. Pair of 12-pane sashes to 1st floor with moulded eaved
surrounds. 3-light leaded ovolo-moulded stone mullion attic window to
gable with hood mould; stone-coped gable with kneelers. East wing to right
of 1891 copies W wing, but has no bay window, but pair of sashes similar to
those of 1st floor and similar gable window. Further 2 storey and attic
extension to far right of similar date has sash windows with similar
surrounds, gabled dormers behind plain stone-coped parapet and ends in 1-
bay cross wing with similar stone mullion window to gable. C17 west wing
has two large projecting lateral stacks to left side, towards font and
rear, and 2-storey gabled projection to right of centre beside stack with 2-
light ovolo-moulded stone mullion and transom windows to ground and 1st
floors - possible former stair turret. 2-storey projection to centre,
probably early C19, with hipped roof and large single-storey bow with
glazed garden door flanked by sash windows all with moulded stone surrounds
and battlemented parapet. Sash windows to 1st floor with wood lintels.
Rear elevation of hall range has 4-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion and
transom windows to ground and 1st floors either side of large central
projecting stack.
Interior: Stone cantilever staircase in W wing with plain iron balusters
and ramped mahogany handrail. Hall remodelled for Lord Beatty in early C18
style with green marble bolection-moulded fireplace and painted wood
surround with broken pediment to overmantel. Doorcases with pulvinated
friezes and compartmented plaster ceiling. Dining room in east wing has C17
style stone fireplace and panelling, said to have been made of wood from
Lord Beatty's flagship.
Formerly the seat of the Villiers fiamily and birthplace in 1592 of George
Villiers created Duke of Buckingham. Bought 1711 by Sir Nathan Wright.
Rented for much of C19 as a hunting box. Tenants included 7th Earl of
Cardigan.
Sold 1911 to Rear Admiral Beatty, created Baron Beatty of the North Sea and
Brooksby. Purchased by Leicestershire and Rutland County Councils 1945
for use as agricultural college.
Buildings of England Leics 1984 p144-5.
J R Hubbard, 'Brooksby' the story of an estate and its people, 1977.


Listing NGR: SK6710016072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.