History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broughton and Old Dalby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.829 / 52°49'44"N

Longitude: -0.9687 / 0°58'7"W

OS Eastings: 469583

OS Northings: 326214

OS Grid: SK695262

Mapcode National: GBR BN0.MXT

Mapcode Global: WHFJS.3502

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075069

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190078

Location: Broughton and Old Dalby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Broughton and Old Dalby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Nether Broughton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Nether Broughton

Listing Text

BROUGHTON CHURCH END
& OLD DALBY (West side)
SK 6926 Nether Broughton
31/230 Church of St Mary.

1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and C14, clerestory added and chancel rebuilt C15. Restored 1881 and N wall of N aisle rebuilt 1903. Coursed squared ironstone, with limestone dressings and lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and W tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window with renewed Perpendicular-style tracery and hood mould with canopies either end to C20 figures on brackets. No windows to N but blocked priests door with hood mould. 2-light windows to S with Perpendicular tracery, that to SW renewed. Nave has 3-window clerestory of 2-light windows with straight heads and hood moulds. Aisles have 2-light windows to N and S with Decorated-style tracery of 1881 or early C2O. N aisle has small lancet windows either end, that to W with hood mould. 3-stage truer has chamfered W door with hood mould and 2-light window above with deep hollow-chamfered splay, late C19/early C2O Decorated-style tracery and hood would. 2-light bell-chamber openings with cinquefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil to head, and hood moulds. Battlemented parapet with quatrefoiled lozenge frieze helm gargoyles and panelled and crocketed pinnacles to angles; offset angle buttresses.
Interior: Chancel has tiled sanctuary. Double-chamfered chancel arch, with semi-circular responds, thin swags and nail-head decoration to capitals. Similar capital to W respond of S arcade. 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers to N and polygonal responds, circular piers to S and keeled responds; moulded capitals. C17 communion table with arcaded fluting to front and turned legs. Hanoverian Royal Arms; oil on canvas. Curved stone, Saxon, with interlace work (in vestry). Small panel on S wall of S aisle, C13, with lamb and flag. Monuments: Wall monument with inscription on open book of white marble on raised grey marble ground, to Rev. John Morres d.1830 and other members of his family, signed E. Gaffin, Regent Street, London.


Listing NGR: SK6958326214

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.