History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clawson, Hose and Harby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.874 / 52°52'26"N

Longitude: -0.8912 / 0°53'28"W

OS Eastings: 474727

OS Northings: 331296

OS Grid: SK747312

Mapcode National: GBR BMJ.X2T

Mapcode Global: WHFJM.81W2

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075078

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190106

Location: Clawson, Hose and Harby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Clawson, Hose and Harby

Built-Up Area: Harby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Harby St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Harby

Listing Text

CLAWSON, HOSE AND BURDEN LANE
HARBY North Side,
HARBY
SK 7431-7531 Church of St Mary the
41/18 Virgin
1.1.68

GV II*

Church. C13-late C15, restored 1874. Vestry added 1903. Coursed squared
ironstone with limestone dressings and lead roofs. Chancel, vestry, aisled
nave, S porch and W tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window with flowing
tracery, hood mould and label stops, 2-light windows to N with ogee-arched
heads to lights and 3-light window to S with cinquefoiled ogee-arched heads
to lights, 4-centred heads, all with hood moulds. Vestry continues S aisle
and overlaps 1 bay of chancel and has 2-light E window, datestone to left of
window and door to S. Nave has 4-window clerestory of 2-light windows with
cinquefoiled heads to lights, 4-centred heads to hood moulds. N aisle has
3-light windows to E & W ends with round trefoil-headed lights, 4-centred
head and hood moulds. 2-light window to NE with cinquefoil-headed lights,
4-centred head and 3-light window to NW with cinquefoiled heads to outer
lights and cusped ogee -arched head to central light and basket-arched head,
both with hood moulds and label steps. Many-moulded N door with hood mould
and label stops. S aisle has 2-light window to SE with cusped ogee-arched
heads to lights, and 3-light window to SW with cinquefoiled ogee-arched
heads to lights, both with segmental-arched heads, hood moulds and label
stops. 2-light W window with Perpendicular tracery, 4-centred head and hood
mould with label stops. Many-moulded S door with hood mould and label
stops, that to left a re-used shaft capital with interwining leaf
decoration. S porch has double hollow-chamfered doorway with hood mould,
crocketed pinnacles to angles and 1-light window to E & W with pointed
trefoil head. 3-stage truer has 2-light window to bottom stage W with
cinquefoiled ogee-arched heads to lights and quatrefoil to head, hood mould
and label stops. Niche to middle stage above with chamfer and hood mould.
2-light bell-chamber openings with tracery similar to that of W window and
hood moulds. Battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Base of
parapet has frieze with ball flower ornament, heads and animals. Diagonal
offset buttresses. Plain stone-coped parapets to body of church. Interior:
Chancel has chamfered piscina. 3-light window to SW, now internal, with
cinquefoiled heads to lights, 4-centred head and hood would. C19 arch-
braced collar truss roof on stone foliage corbels. Chancel arch has
polygonal responds with nailhead to capitals and double-chamfered arch.
Nave has 3-bay arcades with quatrefoil piers with semi-octagonal shafts,
polygonal responds, high moulded bases to clear pews, moulded capitals and
double-chamfered arches. Grotesque head corbels to C19 roof. S aisle has
chamfered ogee-arched piscina. Double-chamfered tower arch with polygonal
responds, that to left with inscription recording benefaction. Octagonal
font with 2-light blank tracery patterns to bowl and a date of 1606 carved
later to stem. C18 Commandment boards; oil on board. Royal Arms of George
II, oil on board, above chancel arch. Semi-circular panel above with
painted "inscription" FEAR GOD/HONOUM the KING. Buildings of England
Leicester 1984 p. 174


Listing NGR: SK7472731296

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.